Rent control and misallocation
The paper considers welfare effects of rent control when it is applied only in a sector of a rental housing market. In rent controlled sectors of the Danish rental housing market, we find welfare reducing overallocation of square meters between 9 and 17 per cent of actual allocations. Looking at the 20 per cent most overallocated households, the overallocation of square meters is between 42 and 92 per cent, and the estimated corresponding welfare loss ranges from 1.5 to 5.3 per cent of the average annual rent in the sectors.
|Date of creation:||15 Oct 2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Business and Economics, University of Southern Denmark, Campusvej 55, DK-5230 Odense M, Denmark|
Phone: 65 50 32 33
Fax: 65 50 32 37
Web page: http://www.sdu.dk/ivoe
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Arnott, 1995. "Time for Revisionism on Rent Control?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 99-120, Winter.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Erzo F. P. Luttmer, 2003.
"The Misallocation of Housing Under Rent Control,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1027-1046, September.
- Edward L. Glaeser, 1996.
"The Social Costs of Rent Control Revisited,"
NBER Working Papers
5441, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser, 1996. "The Social Costs of Rent Control Revisted," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1747, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Hackner, Jonas & Nyberg, Sten, 2000.
" Rent Control and Prices of Owner-Occupied Housing,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(2), pages 311-324, June.
- Morten Skak, 2008.
"Projecting Demand for Rental Homes in Denmark,"
International Journal of Housing Policy,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(3), pages 235-262.
- Franz Hubert, 1993. "The Impact of Rent Control on Rents in the Free Sector," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 30(1), pages 51-61, February.
- Marks, Denton, 1984. "The effects of partial-coverage rent control on the price and quantity of rental housing," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 360-369, November.
- Gyourko, Joseph & Linneman, Peter, 1990. "Rent controls and rental housing quality: A note on the effects of New York City's old controls," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 398-409, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:sdueko:2009_007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lene Holbæk)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.