The impact on rent from tenant and landlord characteristics and interaction
Owner-occupied and rental housing services are often assumed to be close substitutes, and both house price and rental price indices rely on regressions based on dwelling and spatial attributes. However, while such characteristics are exhaustive in the owner's market, they cannot capture the additional complexity of rental markets. This paper offers an analysis of additional factors that affect rent, such as landlord and tenant characteristics and the landlord-tenant interaction. We examine a novel data set of the Norwegian rental market and obtain substantial improvements in explanatory power by including tenant and landlord characteristics. Additionally, we are able to shed first light on long-standing questions such as the relationship between the scale of the landlord's businesses and rent levels.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anderson, Soren T. & West, Sarah E., 2006. "Open space, residential property values, and spatial context," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 773-789, November.
- Nakagawa, Masayuki & Saito, Makoto & Yamaga, Hisaki, 2007. "Earthquake risk and housing rents: Evidence from the Tokyo Metropolitan Area," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 87-99, January.
- Laferrere, Anne & Le Blanc, David, 2004. "How do housing allowances affect rents? An empirical analysis of the French case," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 36-67, March.
- Allen C. Goodman & Masahiro Kawai, 1985. "Length-of-Residence Discounts and Rental Housing Demand: Theory and Evidence," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 62(2), pages 93-105.
- Yongheng Deng & Stuart A. Gabriel & Frank E. Nothaft., 2002.
"Duration of Residence in the Rental Housing Market,"
8625, USC Lusk Center for Real Estate.
- Deng, Yongheng & Gabriel, Stuart A & Nothaft, Frank E, 2003. "Duration of Residence in the Rental Housing Market," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 26(2-3), pages 267-85, March-May.
- Hubert, Franz, 1995. "Contracting with costly tenants," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 631-654, October.
- Barker, David, 2003. "Length of residence discounts, turnover, and demand elasticity. Should long-term tenants pay less than new tenants?," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 1-11, March.
- Goodman, Allen C., 2003. "Following a panel of stayers: Length of stay, tenure choice, and housing demand," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 106-133, June.
- Zumpano, Leonard V & Elder, Harold W & Baryla, Edward A, 1996. "Buying a House and the Decision to Use a Real Estate Broker," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 169-81, September.
- Zumpano, Leonard V. & Johnson, Ken H. & Anderson, Randy I., 2003. "Internet use and real estate brokerage market intermediation," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 134-150, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:regeco:v:39:y:2009:i:3:p:316-322. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.