Duration of Residence in the Rental Housing Market
This paper estimates a proportional hazard model of duration of residence in rental housing over 1987-98 based on a unique dataset from the BLS-CPI housing sample together with American Housing Survey and other metropolitan economic data. The paper employs an innovative semi-parametric estimation approach for group duration analysis of the proportional hazard model. Results of the analysis indicate that the duration of residence in rental housing varies significantly across individual units and market segments, and is effected by tenant, dwelling, and market characteristics. An improved understanding of duration of residence offers new insights as regards fluctuations in tenant turnover, building occupancy, and rent flows, as well as new confidence in pro forma assumptions critical to rental housing development. Copyright 2003 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stuart A. Gabriel & Frank E. Nothaft, 1999.
"Rental Housing Markets, the Incidence and Duration of Vacancy, and the Natural Vacancy Rate,"
8668, USC Lusk Center for Real Estate.
- Gabriel, Stuart A. & Nothaft, Frank E., 2001. "Rental Housing Markets, the Incidence and Duration of Vacancy, and the Natural Vacancy Rate," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 121-149, January.
- Deng, Yongheng, 1997.
"Mortgage Termination: An Empirical Hazard Model with a Stochastic Term Structure,"
The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics,
Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 309-31, May.
- Yongheng Deng, . "Mortgage Termination: An Empirical Hazard Model with Stochastic Term Structure," Working Papers _002, University of California at Berkeley, Econometrics Laboratory Software Archive.
- Stuart S. Rosenthal, 1986.
"A residence time model of housing markets,"
Working Paper Series / Economic Activity Section
65, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Eric Belsky & John L. Goodman, Jr., 1996. "Explaining the Vacancy Rate - Rent Paradox of the 1980s," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 11(3), pages 309-323.
- Jacob Belkin & Donald J. Hempel & Dennis W. McLeavey, 1976. "An Empirical Study of Time on Market Using Multidimensional Segmentation of Housing Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 4(2), pages 57-75.
- Richard Arnott, 1988.
"Housing Vacancies, Thin Markets, and Idiosyncratic Tastes,"
722, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Arnott, Richard, 1989. "Housing Vacancies, Thin Markets, and Idiosyncratic Tastes," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 5-30, February.
- Stuart A. Gabriel & Frank E. Nothaft, 1988. "Rental Housing Markets and the Natural Vacancy Rate," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 16(4), pages 419-429.
- Brian D. Kluger & Norman G. Miller, 1990. "Measuring Residential Real Estate Liquidity," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(2), pages 145-159.
- Han, Aaron & Hausman, Jerry A, 1990. "Flexible Parametric Estimation of Duration and Competing Risk Models," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(1), pages 1-28, January-M.
- Donald Haurin, 1988. "The Duration of Marketing Time of Residential Housing," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 16(4), pages 396-410.
- Rosen, Kenneth T & Smith, Lawrence B, 1983. "The Price-Adjustment Process for Rental Housing and the Natural Vacancy Rate," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 779-86, September.
- Guasch, J. Luis & Marshall, Robert C., 1987. "A theoretical and empirical analysis of the length of residency discount in the rental housing market," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 291-311, November.
- Zuehlke, Thomas W, 1987. "Duration Dependence in the Housing Market," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(4), pages 701-04, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jrefec:v:26:y:2003:i:2-3:p:267-85. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.