An Empirical Survey of the Ramifications of a Green Economy
The unprecedented deterioration of our global environment has increased the necessity of relying upon Green Economic policies as critical and effective environmental management tools. The current situation has stimulated extensive research and debate among global interest groups. This has fostered an ever-growing volume of literature that provides a picture of the best measures affecting the establishment of the Green Economy – including its development and outcomes. This paper provides a survey of the green economy in self-contained form and accessible to the non-specialist readers. First, it reviews the recent developments in green economy: its theoretical foundation, political background and developmental strategies towards genuine, sustainable development. Second, the circular economy, networks, organizations, policies, infrastructure and measurable expected effects are discussed. Third, the theoretical and empirical results and findings regarding the green economy and its practice do lead to a number of conclusions regarding measurement of improvements, achievement of outcomes and identification of causal effects. Finally, summaries of current and possible future Green Development tendencies with a focus upon directions, policy, organizations, capacity, areas and interventions are provided and extensions that can serve as optimal directions for future research and policy are suggested.
|Date of creation:||27 Mar 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +46 8 790 95 63
Web page: http://www.infra.kth.se/cesis/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paola Conconi, 2003.
"Green Lobbies and Transboundary Pollution in Large Open Economies,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/5837, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Conconi, Paola, 2003. "Green lobbies and transboundary pollution in large open economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 399-422, March.
- Gill Seyfang, 2001. "Community currencies: small change for a green economy," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 33(6), pages 975-996, June.
- M. L. Weitzman, 1974.
"On the Welfare Significance of National Product in Dynamic Economy,"
125, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Weitzman, Martin L, 1976. "On the Welfare Significance of National Product in a Dynamic Economy," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 90(1), pages 156-62, February.
- Pearce, David, 2006. "The political economy of an energy tax: The United Kingdom's Climate Change Levy," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 149-158, March.
- Robert D. Cairns, 2002. "Green national income and expenditure," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 35(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Baksi, Soham & Green, Chris, 2007. "Calculating economy-wide energy intensity decline rate: The role of sectoral output and energy shares," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(12), pages 6457-6466, December.
- Schmalensee, Richard, 2012. "From “Green Growth” to sound policies: An overview," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(S1), pages S2-S6.
- Vellinga, Nico & Withagen, Cees, 1996. "On the Concept of Green National Income," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 48(4), pages 499-514, October.
- Mehmet, Ozay, 1995. "Employment creation and green development strategy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 11-19, October.
- Carraro, Carlo & Favero, Alice & Massetti, Emanuele, 2012. "“Investments and public finance in a green, low carbon, economy”," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(S1), pages S15-S28.
- Lee, Duk Hee & Park, Sang Yong & Hong, Jong Chul & Choi, Sang Jin & Kim, Jong Wook, 2013. "Analysis of the energy and environmental effects of green car deployment by an integrating energy system model with a forecasting model," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 103(C), pages 306-316.
- Midilli, Adnan & Dincer, Ibrahim & Ay, Murat, 2006. "Green energy strategies for sustainable development," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 3623-3633, December.
- Cristina Ciocirlan & Bruce Yandle, 2003. "The Political Economy of Green Taxation in OECD Countries," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 203-218, May.
- Yi, Hongtao, 2013. "Clean energy policies and green jobs: An evaluation of green jobs in U.S. metropolitan areas," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 56(C), pages 644-652.
- Aaheim, Asbjorn & Nyborg, Karine, 1995. "On the Interpretation and Applicability of a "Green National Product."," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 41(1), pages 57-71, March.
- Oh, Dong-hyun & Heshmati, Almas, 2010. "A sequential Malmquist-Luenberger productivity index: Environmentally sensitive productivity growth considering the progressive nature of technology," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 1345-1355, November.
- Eyraud, Luc & Clements, Benedict & Wane, Abdoul, 2013. "Green investment: Trends and determinants," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 852-865.
- Bartelmus, Peter, 1999. "Green accounting for a sustainable economy: Policy use and analysis of environmental accounts in the Philippines," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 155-170, April.
- Xavier Labandeira Villot & Pedro Linares, 2009.
"Energy Efficiency: Economics and Policy,"
- Maestad, O., 1995. "On the Legitimacy of Green Trade Policy," Papers 17/95, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration-.
- Matthew J. Kotchen, 2006.
"Green Markets and Private Provision of Public Goods,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(4), pages 816-845, August.
- Matthew J. Kotchen, 2003. "Green Markets and Private Provision of Public Goods," Department of Economics Working Papers 2003-05, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Gerald C. Nelson & Richard D. Robertson, 2008. "Green Gold or Green Wash: Environmental Consequences of Biofuels in the Developing World ," Review of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 30(3), pages 517-529.
- repec:rie:review:v:15:y:2010:i:1:n:2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mary Mellor, 2006. "Ecofeminist political economy," International Journal of Green Economics, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(1/2), pages 139-150.
- Andrew C. Worthington & Mark Hoffman, 2008. "An Empirical Survey Of Residential Water Demand Modelling," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 22(5), pages 842-871, December.
- Turner, Steven C. & Kriesel, Warren, 1995. "The Relative Importance of the Green Industry in the U.S. Agricultural Economy," Journal of Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics Association of Georgia, vol. 13(1).
- Foster, Andrew D & Rosenzweig, Mark R, 1996.
"Technical Change and Human-Capital Returns and Investments: Evidence from the Green Revolution,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 931-53, September.
- Mark Rosenzweig & Andrew D. Foster, . "Technical Change and Human Capital Returns and Investments: Evidence from the Green Revolution," Home Pages _065, University of Pennsylvania.
- Glomm, Gerhard & Kawaguchi, Daiji & Sepulveda, Facundo, 2008.
"Green taxes and double dividends in a dynamic economy,"
Journal of Policy Modeling,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 19-32.
- Gerhard Glomm & Daiji Kawaguchi & Facundo Sepulveda, 2006. "Green Taxes and Double Dividends in a Dynamic Economy," Caepr Working Papers 2006-017, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- Reilly, John M., 2012. "Green growth and the efficient use of natural resources," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(S1), pages S85-S93.
- Rolf Färe & Shawna Grosskopf & Carl A Pasurka, Jr., 2001. "Accounting for Air Pollution Emissions in Measures of State Manufacturing Productivity Growth," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(3), pages 381-409.
- Chialin Chen, 2001. "Design for the Environment: A Quality-Based Model for Green Product Development," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(2), pages 250-263, February.
- Richard D. Horan & James S. Shortle & David G. Abler, 1999. "Green Payments for Nonpoint Pollution Control," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1210-1215.
- Söderholm, Patrik, 2008. "The political economy of international green certificate markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 2051-2062, June.
- Camagni, Roberto & Capello, Roberta & Nijkamp, Peter, 1998. "Towards sustainable city policy: an economy-environment technology nexus," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 103-118, January.
- David Dawe, 1998. "Reenergizing the Green Revolution in Rice," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 948-953.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-3107027 is not listed on IDEAS
- Douglas Gollin & Michael Morris & Derek Byerlee, 2005. "Technology Adoption in Intensive Post-Green Revolution Systems," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(5), pages 1310-1316.
- Clark II, Woodrow W. & Rifkin, Jeremy, 2006. "A green hydrogen economy," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(17), pages 2630-2639, November.
- Svendsen, Gert Tinggaard & Daugbjerg, Carsten & Hjollund, Lene & Pedersen, Anders Branth, 2001. "Consumers, industrialists and the political economy of green taxation: CO2 taxation in OECD," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 489-497, May.
- Hazel Henderson, 2007. "Growing the green economy â€“ globally," International Journal of Green Economics, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(3/4), pages 276-298.
- Boyd, James, 2007. "Nonmarket benefits of nature: What should be counted in green GDP?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(4), pages 716-723, March.
- Wustenhagen, Rolf & Bilharz, Michael, 2006. "Green energy market development in Germany: effective public policy and emerging customer demand," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(13), pages 1681-1696, September.
- Asheim, Geir B, 1997. " Adjusting Green NNP to Measure Sustainability," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 99(3), pages 355-70, September.
- Jing Li & Sandra J. Hartman & Susan M.L. Zee, 2009. "A study of green movement perceptions and behavioural intentions," International Journal of Sustainable Economy, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(2), pages 133-143.
- Foxon, Timothy J., 2011. "A coevolutionary framework for analysing a transition to a sustainable low carbon economy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(12), pages 2258-2267.
- Hans-Jurgen Engelbrecht, 2009. "Pathological Knowledge-Based Economies: Towards a Knowledge-Based Economy Perspective on the Current Crisis," Prometheus, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(4), pages 403-414.
- Seyfang, Gill & Longhurst, Noel, 2013. "Growing green money? Mapping community currencies for sustainable development," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(C), pages 65-77.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:cesisp:0356. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vardan Hovsepyan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.