Key Issues in Local Job Accessibility Measurement: Different Models Mean Different Results
This methodological paper shows that using different local job accessibility models (LJAs) leads to significantly different empirical appreciations of job accessibility. Matching several exhaustive micro data sources on the Paris region municipalities, the paper benchmarks a representative set of LJA measurement models used in the recent literature and an original model where job availability is fully estimated according to a set of individual characteristics, job competition is fully modelled on the local labour market and frontier effects are controlled for. We show that the model-induced empirical differences are spatially differentiated across the Paris region municipalities, and that failing to fully estimate job availability may lead to overestimation of the job accessibility levels of underprivileged municipalities.
|Date of creation:||2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Urban Studies, SAGE Publications, 2014, 51 (6), pp.1322-1338. <10.1177/0042098013495573>|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00867924|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neil Bania & Laura Leete & Claudia Coulton, 2008. "Job Access, Employment and Earnings: Outcomes for Welfare Leavers in a US Urban Labour Market," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 45(11), pages 2179-2202, October.
- DUJARDIN Claire & SELOD Harris & THOMAS Isabelle, 2007.
"Residential segregation and unemplyment : the case of Brussels,"
Research Unit Working Papers
0704, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Claire Dujardin & Harris Selod & Isabelle Thomas, 2008. "Residential Segregation and Unemployment: The Case of Brussels," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 45(1), pages 89-113, January.
- Claire Dujardin & Harris Selod & Isabelle Thomas, 2005. "Residential segregation and unemployment : the case of Brussels," Research Unit Working Papers 0511, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Claire Dujardin & Harris Selod & Isabelle Thomas, 2008. "Residential Segregation and Unemployment: The Case of Brussels," Post-Print halshs-00826196, HAL.
- DUJARDIN, Claire & SELOD, Harris & THOMAS, Isabelle, . "Residential segregation and unemployment: The case of Brussels," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2010, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Frédéric GASCHET (IERSO, IFReDE-GRES) & Nathalie GAUSSIER (IERSO, IFReDE-GRES), 2004. "Urban segregation and labour markets within the Bordeaux metropolitan area: an investigation of the spatial friction," Cahiers du GRES (2002-2009) 2004-19, Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales.
- Emmanuel Duguet & Yannick L'Horty & Florent Sari, 2009. "Sortir du chômage en Île-de-France. Disparités territoriales, spatial mismatch et ségrégation résidentielle," Revue économique, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 60(4), pages 979-1010.
- van der Klaauw, Bas & van Ours, Jan C., 2003.
"From welfare to work: does the neighborhood matter?,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(5-6), pages 957-985, May.
- van der Klaauw, B. & van Ours, J.C., 2003. "From welfare to work : Does the neighbourhood matter?," Other publications TiSEM 196c643f-07ca-496b-950c-b, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Rogers, Cynthia L., 1997. "Job Search and Unemployment Duration: Implications for the Spatial Mismatch Hypothesis," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 109-132, July.
- Patacchini, Eleonora & Zenou, Yves, 2005. "Spatial mismatch, transport mode and search decisions in England," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 62-90, July.
- Elisabeth Tovar & Lise Bourdeau-Lepage, 2013.
"Well-being Disparities within the Paris Region: A Capabilist Spatialised Outlook,"
- Elisabeth Tovar & Lise Bourdeau-Lepage, 2013. "Well-being Disparities within the Paris Region: A Capabilist Spatialised Outlook," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 50(8), pages 1575-1591, June.
- Lise Bourdeau-Lepage & Elisabeth Tovar, 2011. "Well-being Disparities Within the Paris Region. A Capabilist Spatialized Outlook," EconomiX Working Papers 2011-17, University of Paris West - Nanterre la Défense, EconomiX.
- Weibull, Jorgen W., 1976. "An axiomatic approach to the measurement of accessibility," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 357-379, December.
- Anna Matas & José-Luís Raymond & José-Luís Roig, 2008.
"Car ownership and access to jobs in Spain,"
XREAP2008-03, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Apr 2008.
- Matas, Anna & Raymond, José-Luis & Roig, José-Luis, 2009. "Car ownership and access to jobs in Spain," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 43(6), pages 607-617, July.
- S L Handy & D A Niemeier, 1997. "Measuring accessibility: an exploration of issues and alternatives," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 29(7), pages 1175-1194, July.
- Raphael, Steven, 1998. "The Spatial Mismatch Hypothesis and Black Youth Joblessness: Evidence from the San Francisco Bay Area," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 79-111, January.
- Emre Korsu & Sandrine Wenglenski, 2010. "Job Accessibility, Residential Segregation and Risk of Long-term Unemployment in the Paris Region," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 47(11), pages 2279-2324, October.
- R Cervero & T Rood & B Appleyard, 1999. "Tracking accessibility: employment and housing opportunities in the San Francisco Bay Area," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 31(7), pages 1259-1278, July.
- S L Handy & D A Niemeier, 1997. "Measuring Accessibility: An Exploration of Issues and Alternatives," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 29(7), pages 1175-1194, July.
- R Cervero & T Rood & B Appleyard, 1999. "Tracking Accessibility: Employment and Housing Opportunities in the San Francisco Bay Area," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 31(7), pages 1259-1278, July.
- Pascale Petit & Florent Sari & Yannick L’Horty & Emmanuel Duguet & Loïc du Parquet, 2011. "Les effets du lieu de résidence sur l’accès à l’emploi : un test de discrimination auprès des jeunes qualifiés," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 447(1), pages 71-95.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00867924. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.