Panel Export Taxes (PET) Dataset: New Data on Export Tax Rates
This paper describes a newly collected dataset on export tax rates, which provides comprehensive coverage for 20 countries, 2 time periods and all products at HS6 level. Export tax rates are based on national government documentation, including preferential provisions for partner countries. The data are organized in a harmonized and comparable format, including ad-valorem equivalents of specific taxes. The dataset can contribute to the empirical analysis of export taxes – an increasingly applied trade policy instrument, which merits further attention from academia and policy makers alike. Furthermore, the paper contains literature review and stylized facts highlighting various aspects of export taxes.
|Date of creation:||04 Apr 2013|
|Date of revision:||04 Apr 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: ++41 22 731 17 30
Fax: ++41 22 738 43 06
Web page: http://www.graduateinstitute.ch/economics
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Takamasa Akiyama, 1992. "Is there a case for an optimal export tax on perennial crops?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 854, The World Bank.
- Piermartini, Roberta, 2004. "The role of export taxes in the field of primary commodities," WTO Discussion Papers 4, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Antoine Berthou & Charlotte Emlinger, 2011.
"The Trade Unit Values Database,"
2011-10, CEPII research center.
- Latina, Joelle & Piermartini, Roberta & Ruta, Michele, 2011.
"Natural resources and non-cooperative trade policy,"
WTO Staff Working Papers
ERSD-2011-06, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Joelle Latina & Roberta Piermartini & Michele Ruta, 2011. "Natural resources and non-cooperative trade policy," International Economics and Economic Policy, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 177-196, June.
- Margaret McMillan, 2001. "Why Kill The Golden Goose? A Political-Economy Model Of Export Taxation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(1), pages 170-184, February.
- Hudson, Darren & Ethridge, Don, 1999.
"Export taxes and sectoral economic growth: evidence from cotton and yarn markets in Pakistan,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 20(3), May.
- Hudson, Darren & Ethridge, Don, 1999. "Export taxes and sectoral economic growth: evidence from cotton and yarn markets in Pakistan," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 263-276, May.
- Yilmaz, Kamil, 1999. "Optimal export taxes in a multicountry framework," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 439-465, December.
- Flaaten, Ola & Schulz, Carl Erik, 2010. "Triple win for trade in renewable resource goods by use of export taxes," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(5), pages 1076-1082, March.
- Emran, M. Shahe, 2005. "Revenue-increasing and welfare-enhancing reform of taxes on exports," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 277-292, June.
- Barbara Fliess & Tarja Mård, 2012. "Taking Stock of Measures Restricting the Export of Raw Materials: Analysis of OECD Inventory Data," OECD Trade Policy Papers 140, OECD Publishing.
- Aldo Musacchio & André Carlos Martínez Fritscher & Martina Viarengo, 2010.
"Colonial Institutions, Trade Shocks, and the Diffusion of Elementary Education in Brazil, 1889-1930,"
Harvard Business School Working Papers
10-075, Harvard Business School, revised Dec 2012.
- Musacchio, Aldo & Fritscher, André Martínez & Viarengo, Martina, 2014. "Colonial Institutions, Trade Shocks, and the Diffusion of Elementary Education in Brazil, 1889–1930," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 74(03), pages 730-766, September.
- Laborde Debucquet, David & Estrades, Carmen & BouÑ‘t, Antoine, 2013.
"A global assessment of the economic effects of export taxes:,"
IFPRI discussion papers
1241, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- David Laborde & Carmen Estrades & Antoine Bouët, 2013. "A Global Assessment of the Economic Effects of Export Taxes," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(10), pages 1333-1354, October.
- Jane Korinek & Jessica Bartos, 2012. "Multilateralising Regionalism: Disciplines on Export Restrictions in Regional Trade Agreements," OECD Trade Policy Papers 139, OECD Publishing.
- Peter Warr, 2002. "Export taxes and income distribution: The Philippines coconut levy," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(3), pages 437-458, September.
- Antoine Bouet & Carmen Estrades & David Laborde, 2013.
"Differential export taxes along the oilseeds value chain : a partial equilibrium analysis,"
Larefi Working Papers
1303, Larefi, Université Bordeaux 4.
- BouÃ«t, Antoine & Estrades, Carmen & Laborde Debucquet, David, 2012. "Differential export taxes along the oilseeds value chain:: A partial equilibrium analysis," IFPRI discussion papers 1236, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Antoine Bouet & Carmen Estrades & David Laborde, 2013. "Differential export taxes along the oilseeds value chain: a partial equilibrium analysis," Working Papers hal-00780574, HAL.
- Alexei Kireyev, 2010. "Export Tax and Pricing Power; Two Hypotheseson the Cocoa Market in CÃ´te Dâ€™Ivoire," IMF Working Papers 10/269, International Monetary Fund.
- Bouet, Antoine & Laborde Debucquet, David, 2010. "Economics of export taxation in a context of food crisis," IFPRI discussion papers 994, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Choeun, Hong & Godo, Yoshihisa & Hayami, Yujiro, 2006. "The economics and politics of rice export taxation in Thailand: A historical simulation analysis, 1950-1985," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 103-125, February.
- Richard Baldwin, 2013.
"Lessons from the European Spaghetti Bowl,"
Trade Working Papers
23411, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Bandyopadhyay, Subhayu & Majumdar, Baishali, 2004. "Multilateral transfers, export taxation and asymmetry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 715-725, April.
- Timilsina, Govinda R. & Chisari, Omar O. & Romero, Carlos A., 2013. "Economy-wide impacts of biofuels in Argentina," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 636-647.
- Mohamad F. Hasan & Michael R. Reed & Mary A. Marchant, 2001. "Effects of an Export Tax on Competitiveness: The Case of the Indonesian Palm Oil Industry," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 77-90, December.
- Peter G. Warr, 2001. "Welfare Effects of an Export Tax: Thailand's Rice Premium," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 903-920.
- Olga Solleder, 2013. "Trade Effects of Export Taxes," IHEID Working Papers 08-2013, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies, revised 08 Apr 2013.
- Waschik, Robert & Fraser, Iain, 2007.
"A computable general equilibrium analysis of export taxes in the Australian wool industry,"
Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 712-736, July.
- Fraser, Iain & Waschik, Robert, 2006. "A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis of Export Taxes in the Australian Wool Industry," 2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia 139733, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Akiyama, Takamasa & Larson, Donald F. & DEC, 1994. "The adding-up problem : strategies for primary commodity exports in sub-Saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1245, The World Bank.
- Howell H. Zee, 2007. "Export taxes in times of trade surpluses," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 137-157.
- repec:cii:cepiei:2011-q4-128 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gii:giihei:heidwp07-2013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maria Sokolova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.