Panel Export Taxes (PET) Dataset: New Data on Export Tax Rates
This paper describes a newly collected dataset on export tax rates, which provides comprehensive coverage for 20 countries, 2 time periods and all products at HS6 level. Export tax rates are based on national government documentation, including preferential provisions for partner countries. The data are organized in a harmonized and comparable format, including ad-valorem equivalents of specific taxes. The dataset can contribute to the empirical analysis of export taxes – an increasingly applied trade policy instrument, which merits further attention from academia and policy makers alike. Furthermore, the paper contains literature review and stylized facts highlighting various aspects of export taxes.
|Date of creation:||04 Apr 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 36, 1211 Geneva 21|
Phone: ++41 22 731 17 30
Fax: ++41 22 738 43 06
Web page: http://www.graduateinstitute.ch/economics
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Musacchio, Aldo & Fritscher, André Martínez & Viarengo, Martina, 2014.
"Colonial Institutions, Trade Shocks, and the Diffusion of Elementary Education in Brazil, 1889–1930,"
The Journal of Economic History,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 74(03), pages 730-766, September.
- Aldo Musacchio & André Carlos Martínez Fritscher & Martina Viarengo, 2010. "Colonial Institutions, Trade Shocks, and the Diffusion of Elementary Education in Brazil, 1889-1930," Harvard Business School Working Papers 10-075, Harvard Business School, revised Dec 2012.
- Alexei P Kireyev, 2010. "Export Tax and Pricing Power; Two Hypotheses on the Cocoa Market in CÃ´te dâ€™Ivoire," IMF Working Papers 10/269, .
- David Laborde & Carmen Estrades & Antoine Bouët, 2013.
"A Global Assessment of the Economic Effects of Export Taxes,"
The World Economy,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(10), pages 1333-1354, October.
- Laborde Debucquet, David & Estrades, Carmen & BouÑ‘t, Antoine, 2013. "A global assessment of the economic effects of export taxes:," IFPRI discussion papers 1241, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Joelle Latina & Roberta Piermartini & Michele Ruta, 2011.
"Natural resources and non-cooperative trade policy,"
International Economics and Economic Policy,
Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 177-196, June.
- Latina, Joelle & Piermartini, Roberta & Ruta, Michele, 2011. "Natural resources and non-cooperative trade policy," WTO Staff Working Papers ERSD-2011-06, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Waschik, Robert & Fraser, Iain, 2007.
"A computable general equilibrium analysis of export taxes in the Australian wool industry,"
Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 712-736, July.
- Fraser, Iain & Waschik, Robert, 2006. "A Computable General Equilibrium Analysis of Export Taxes in the Australian Wool Industry," 2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia 139733, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- repec:cii:cepiei:2011-q4-128-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Choeun, Hong & Godo, Yoshihisa & Hayami, Yujiro, 2006. "The economics and politics of rice export taxation in Thailand: A historical simulation analysis, 1950-1985," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 103-125, February.
- Peter G. Warr, 2001. "Welfare Effects of an Export Tax: Thailand's Rice Premium," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(4), pages 903-920.
- BouÃ«t, Antoine & Estrades, Carmen & Laborde Debucquet, David, 2012.
"Differential export taxes along the oilseeds value chain:: A partial equilibrium analysis,"
IFPRI discussion papers
1236, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Antoine BouÃ«t & Carmen Estrades & David Laborde, 2014. "Differential Export Taxes along the Oilseeds Value Chain: A Partial Equilibrium Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 96(3), pages 924-938.
- Antoine Bouet & Carmen Estrades & David Laborde, 2013. "Differential export taxes along the oilseeds value chain: a partial equilibrium analysis," Working Papers hal-00780574, HAL.
- Antoine Bouet & Carmen Estrades & David Laborde, 2013. "Differential export taxes along the oilseeds value chain : a partial equilibrium analysis," Larefi Working Papers 1303, Larefi, Université Bordeaux 4.
- Richard Baldwin, 2013.
"Lessons from the European Spaghetti Bowl,"
Trade Working Papers
23411, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Bouet, Antoine & Laborde Debucquet, David, 2010. "Economics of export taxation in a context of food crisis," IFPRI discussion papers 994, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Takamasa Akiyama, 1992. "Is there a case for an optimal export tax on perennial crops?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 854, The World Bank.
- Emran, M. Shahe, 2005. "Revenue-increasing and welfare-enhancing reform of taxes on exports," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 277-292, June.
- Peter Warr, 2002. "Export taxes and income distribution: The Philippines coconut levy," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 138(3), pages 437-458, September.
- Olga Solleder, 2013. "Trade Effects of Export Taxes," IHEID Working Papers 08-2013, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Mohamad F. Hasan & Michael R. Reed & Mary A. Marchant, 2001. "Effects of an Export Tax on Competitiveness: The Case of the Indonesian Palm Oil Industry," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 77-90, December.
- Bandyopadhyay, Subhayu & Majumdar, Baishali, 2004. "Multilateral transfers, export taxation and asymmetry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 715-725, April.
- Hudson, Darren & Ethridge, Don, 1999.
"Export taxes and sectoral economic growth: evidence from cotton and yarn markets in Pakistan,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 20(3), May.
- Hudson, Darren & Ethridge, Don, 1999. "Export taxes and sectoral economic growth: evidence from cotton and yarn markets in Pakistan," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 263-276, May.
- Antoine Berthou & Charlotte Emlinger, 2011.
"The Trade Unit Values Database,"
2011-10, CEPII research center.
- Jane Korinek & Jessica Bartos, 2012. "Multilateralising Regionalism: Disciplines on Export Restrictions in Regional Trade Agreements," OECD Trade Policy Papers 139, OECD Publishing.
- repec:cii:cepiei:2011-q4-128 is not listed on IDEAS
- Yilmaz, Kamil, 1999. "Optimal export taxes in a multicountry framework," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 439-465, December.
- Barbara Fliess & Tarja Mård, 2012. "Taking Stock of Measures Restricting the Export of Raw Materials: Analysis of OECD Inventory Data," OECD Trade Policy Papers 140, OECD Publishing.
- Piermartini, Roberta, 2004. "The role of export taxes in the field of primary commodities," WTO Discussion Papers 4, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- repec:cii:cepiei:2011-q4-128-5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Flaaten, Ola & Schulz, Carl Erik, 2010. "Triple win for trade in renewable resource goods by use of export taxes," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(5), pages 1076-1082, March.
- Howell H. Zee, 2007. "Export taxes in times of trade surpluses," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 137-157.
- Margaret McMillan, 2001. "Why Kill The Golden Goose? A Political-Economy Model Of Export Taxation," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(1), pages 170-184, February.
- Timilsina, Govinda R. & Chisari, Omar O. & Romero, Carlos A., 2013. "Economy-wide impacts of biofuels in Argentina," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 636-647.
- Akiyama, Takamasa & Larson, Donald F. & DEC, 1994. "The adding-up problem : strategies for primary commodity exports in sub-Saharan Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1245, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gii:giihei:heidwp07-2013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dorina Dobre)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.