Triple win for trade in renewable resource goods by use of export taxes
We challenge the free trade paradigm, in particular for developing countries exporting natural resource goods, by demonstrating positive economic and environmental effects of an export tax for renewable resource goods. The two-sector general equilibrium model designed has an open-access renewable resource industry and a manufacturing industry. The economic, environmental and social effects of using an export tax on goods from the open-access renewable resource industry are analysed. It is demonstrated that the gross domestic product, the steady-state resource stock and the domestic consumption of both products increase with the resource export tax compared to free trade with no trade taxes.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Urs Steiner Brandt & Niels Vestergaard, 2006. "Illegal Landings: An Aggregate Catch Self-Reporting Mechanism," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(4), pages 974-985.
- James A. Brander & M. Scott Taylor, 1995.
"International Trade and Open Access Renewable Resources: The Small Open Economy Case,"
NBER Working Papers
5021, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James A. Brander & M. Scott Taylor, 1997. "International Trade and Open-Access Renewable Resources: The Small Open Economy Case," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(3), pages 526-552, August.
- Pomeroy, Robert & Thi Nguyen, Kim Anh & Thong, Ha Xuan, 2009. "Small-scale marine fisheries policy in Vietnam," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 419-428, March.
- Emran, M. Shahe, 2005. "Revenue-increasing and welfare-enhancing reform of taxes on exports," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 277-292, June.
- Susana Ferreira, 2007. "Trade Policy and Natural Resource Use: The Case for a Quantitative Restriction," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 37(2), pages 361-376, June.
- Bulte, E.H. & Barbier, E., 2005.
"Trade and renewable resources in a second best world : An overview,"
Other publications TiSEM
b32c301d-ca5d-47bb-ae5a-7, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Erwin Bulte & Edward Barbier, 2005. "Trade and Renewable Resources in a Second Best World: An Overview," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 30(4), pages 423-463, 04.
- Nielsen, Max, 2006. "Trade liberalisation, resource sustainability and welfare: The case of East Baltic cod," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 650-664, June.
- H. Scott Gordon, 1954. "The Economic Theory of a Common-Property Resource: The Fishery," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62, pages 124-124.
- Raakjær, Jesper & Manh Son, Dao & Stæhr, Karl-Johan & Hovgård, Holger & Dieu Thuy, Nguyen Thi & Ellegaard, Kristine & Riget, Frank & Van Thi, Dang & Giang Hai, Phung, 2007. "Adaptive fisheries management in Vietnam: The use of indicators and the introduction of a multi-disciplinary Marine Fisheries Specialist Team to support implementation," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 143-152, March.
- Parzival Copes, 1986. "A Critical Review of the Individual Quota as a Device in Fisheries Management," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 62(3), pages 278-291.
- Frank Asche & Ola Flaaten & John R. Isaksen & Terje Vassdal, 2002. "Derived Demand and Relationships between Prices at Different Levels in the Value Chain: A Note," Journal of Agricultural Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(1), pages 101-107.
- Rögnvaldur Hannesson, 2000. "Renewable resources and the gains from trade," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(1), pages 122-132, February.
- Wilen, James E., 2000. "Renewable Resource Economists and Policy: What Differences Have We Made?," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 306-327, May.
- Copes, Parzival, 1972. "Factor Rents, Sole Ownership and the Optimum Level of Fisheries Exploitation," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 40(2), pages 145-163, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolec:v:69:y:2010:i:5:p:1076-1082. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.