International Trade and Open Access Renewable Resources: The Small Open Economy Case
This paper develops a two-sector general equilibrium model of an economy with an open access renewable resource. We characterize the autarkic steady state, showing that autarky prices (and 'comparative advantage') are determined by the ratio of intrinsic resource growth to labor. Under free trade, steady state trade and production patterns for a small open economy are determined by whether the resource good's world price exceeds its autarky price. Strikingly, if the small country exports the resource good while remaining diversified, then steady-state utility is lower than in autarky, and increases in the world price of exports are welfare-reducing.
|Date of creation:||Feb 1995|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Canadian Journal of Economics, Vol. 30, no. 3 (August 1997): 526-552.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chichilnisky, G., 1991.
"Global Environment and North-South Trade,"
1991_45, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Kemp, Murray C. & Van Long, Ngo, 1984. "The role of natural resources in trade models," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 8, pages 367-417 Elsevier.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521297615 is not listed on IDEAS
- Copes, Parzival, 1970. "The Backward-Bending Supply Curve Of The Fishing Industry," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 17(1), pages 69-77, February.
- McRae, James J., 1978. "Optimal and competitive use of replenishable natural resources by open economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 29-54, February.
- Mason, Charles F & Polasky, Stephen, 1994.
"Entry Deterrence in the Commons,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(2), pages 507-25, May.
- James R. Markusen, 1976. "Production and Trade from International Common Property Resources," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 9(2), pages 309-19, May.
- Loayza, E.A. & Sprague, L.M., 1992. "A STrategy for Fisheries Development," World Bank - Discussion Papers 135, World Bank.
- Tawada, Makoto, 1982. "A Note on International Trade with a Renewable Resource," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 23(1), pages 157-63, February.
- Hartwick, John M, 1977.
"Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 972-74, December.
- John Hartwick, 1976. "Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources," Working Papers 220, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Munro, Gordon R. & Scott, Anthony D., 1985. "The economics of fisheries management," Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, in: A. V. Kneese† & J. L. Sweeney (ed.), Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 14, pages 623-676 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:5021. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.