International Trade and Open-Access Renewable Resources: The Small Open Economy Case
The authors examine a small open economy with an open-access renewable resource. Using a two-sector general equilibrium model, they characterize the autarkic steady state and then show that trade reduces steady-state utility for a diversified resource exporter. Instantaneous gains occur as trade opens but they are eroded by ongoing resource depletion. The present value of utility falls for appropriate discount rates and terms-of-trade 'improvements' may be welfare reducing. The authors also show that autarky prices, the pattern of trade, and the structure of production all are linked to a simple ratio of the intrinsic resource growth rate to labor supply.
Volume (Year): 30 (1997)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://economics.ca/cje/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://economics.ca/en/membership.php Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mason, Charles F & Polasky, Stephen, 1994.
"Entry Deterrence in the Commons,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(2), pages 507-25, May.
- Munro, Gordon R. & Scott, Anthony D., 1985. "The economics of fisheries management," Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, in: A. V. Kneese† & J. L. Sweeney (ed.), Handbook of Natural Resource and Energy Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 14, pages 623-676 Elsevier.
- Kemp, Murray C. & Van Long, Ngo, 1984. "The role of natural resources in trade models," Handbook of International Economics, in: R. W. Jones & P. B. Kenen (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 8, pages 367-417 Elsevier.
- James R. Markusen, 1976. "Production and Trade from International Common Property Resources," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 9(2), pages 309-19, May.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521297615 is not listed on IDEAS
- McRae, James J., 1978. "Optimal and competitive use of replenishable natural resources by open economies," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 29-54, February.
- Hartwick, John M, 1977.
"Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 972-74, December.
- John Hartwick, 1976. "Intergenerational Equity and the Investing of Rents from Exhaustible Resources," Working Papers 220, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Copes, Parzival, 1970. "The Backward-Bending Supply Curve Of The Fishing Industry," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 17(1), pages 69-77, February.
- Loayza, E.A. & Sprague, L.M., 1992. "A STrategy for Fisheries Development," World Bank - Discussion Papers 135, World Bank.
- Chichilnisky, G., 1991.
"Global Environment and North-South Trade,"
1991_45, Columbia University, Department of Economics.
- Tawada, Makoto, 1982. "A Note on International Trade with a Renewable Resource," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 23(1), pages 157-63, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cje:issued:v:30:y:1997:i:3:p:526-52. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.