A trade and domestic tax reform in imperfectly competitive markets
This paper develops a model of an export oligopoly to examine the welfare effects of an export tax reduction and a production tax increase that makes the foreign country no-worse off. Whether or not entry into the oligopolistic industry is free, the proposed policy reform is shown to reduce welfare of the policy-implementing country and the world. Relating this result to the perfectly competitive case, we closely discuss its implications.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:||Jan 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www-econ.kwansei.ac.jp/~econ/index_e.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kyle Bagwell & Robert W. Staiger, 2009.
"The Economics of Trade Agreements in the Linear Cournot Delocation Model,"
NBER Working Papers
15492, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bagwell, Kyle & Staiger, Robert W., 2012. "The economics of trade agreements in the linear Cournot delocation model," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 32-46.
- Bagwell, Kyle & Staiger, Robert W., 2009. "The economics of trade agreements in the linear Cournot delocation model," WTO Staff Working Papers ERSD-2009-10, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division.
- Ishikawa, Jota, 1998.
"Foreign Monopoly and Trade Policy under Segmented and Integrated Markets,"
1998-03, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- "Ishikawa, Jota", 2000. "Foreign Monopoly and Trade Policy under Segmented and Integrated Markets," Economic Review, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 51(4), pages 321-336, January.
- Tatsuo Hatta, 1977. "A Theory of Piecemeal Policy Recommendations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(1), pages 1-21.
- Jota Ishikawa & Hiroshi Mukunoki, 2008. "Effects of Multilateral Trade Liberalization on Prices," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 37-44, 02.
- Andreas HaufLer & Guttorm Schjelderup & Frank Stähler, 2005.
"Barriers to Trade and Imperfect Competition: The Choice of Commodity Tax Base,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 281-300, May.
- Haufler, Andreas & Schjelderup, Guttorm & Stähler, Frank, 2005. "Barriers to trade and imperfect competition: The choice of commodity tax base," Munich Reprints in Economics 20414, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J, 1986.
"Trade Policy with Increasing Returns and Imperfect Competition: Contradictory Results from Competing Assumptions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
120, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1988. "Trade policy with increasing returns and imperfect competition : Contradictory results from competing assumptions," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3-4), pages 299-316, May.
- Hatzipanayotou, Panos & Michael, Michael S. & Miller, Stephen M., 1994. "Win-win indirect tax reform : A modest proposal," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 147-151.
- Emran, M. Shahe, 2005. "Revenue-increasing and welfare-enhancing reform of taxes on exports," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 277-292, June.
- Scott McCracken & Frank Stähler, 2010.
"Economic integration and the choice of commodity tax base with endogenous market structures,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 17(2), pages 91-113, April.
- Scott McCracken & Frank Staehler, 2007. "Economic integration and the choice of commodity tax base with endogenous market structures," Working Papers 0701, University of Otago, Department of Economics, revised Feb 2007.
- Olga Solleder, 2013. "Trade Effects of Export Taxes," IHEID Working Papers 08-2013, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- M. Shahe Emran & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2002.
"On Selective Indirect Tax Reform in Developing Countries,"
- Emran, M. Shahe & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2005. "On selective indirect tax reform in developing countries," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(4), pages 599-623, April.
- Jota Ishikawa & Tomohiro Kuroda, 2006.
"How Effective are Emission Taxes in an Open Economy?,"
06007, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Jota Ishikawa & Tomohiro Kuroda, 2007. "How Effective are Emissions Taxes in an Open Economy?," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 359-368, 05.
- Jota Ishikawa, 2004. "From Segmented Markets to Integrated Markets: an Analysis of Economic Integration and Antidumping Legislation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 706-722, 09.
- Jota Ishikawa & Hiroshi Mukunoki, 2008. "Spillover Effects Of Economic Integration In A Three-Country Model," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 211-227.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kgu:wpaper:099. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Toshihiro Okada)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.