A Win-Win-Win Tariff-Tax Reform under Imperfect Competition
Taking into account non-constant marginal costs, this paper considers the e ects of a tari cut combined with a consumption tax increase on welfare, government revenue, and market access. We show that welfare, government revenue, and market access can all improve with this policy reform under decreasing marginal costs. This result may provide a theoretical rationale for the above policy reform, which is guided by the IMF and the World Bank.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:||Feb 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www-econ.kwansei.ac.jp/~econ/index_e.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ishikawa, Jota, 2000. "From Segmented Markets to Integrated Markets: An Analysis of Economic Integration and Antidumping Law," Discussion Papers 2000-01, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Bee Yan Aw & Mark J. Roberts & Daniel Yi Xu, 2008. "R&D Investments, Exporting, and the Evolution of Firm Productivity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 451-56, May.
- Jota Ishikawa & Hiroshi Mukunoki, 2008. "Spillover Effects Of Economic Integration In A Three-Country Model," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 211-227.
- Hatzipanayotou, Panos & Michael, Michael S. & Miller, Stephen M., 1994. "Win-win indirect tax reform : A modest proposal," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 147-151.
- Aizenman, Joshua & Jinjarak, Yothin, 2006.
"Globalization and Developing Countries - a Shrinking Tax Base ?,"
Santa Cruz Department of Economics, Working Paper Series
qt8r12k4xr, Department of Economics, UC Santa Cruz.
- Joshua Aizenman & Yothin Jinjarak, 2009. "Globalisation and Developing Countries - a Shrinking Tax Base?," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(5), pages 653-671.
- Joshua Aizenman & Yothin Jinjarak, 2006. "Globalization and Developing Countries - A Shrinking Tax Base?," NBER Working Papers 11933, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Keen, Michael & Ligthart, Jenny E., 2002.
"Coordinating tariff reduction and domestic tax reform,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 489-507, March.
- Michael Keen & Johanna Elisabeth Ligthart, 1999. "Coordinating Tariff Reduction and Domestic Tax Reform," IMF Working Papers 99/93, International Monetary Fund.
- Jota Ishikawa & Hiroshi Mukunoki, 2008. "Effects of Multilateral Trade Liberalization on Prices," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 37-44, 02.
- Jota Ishikawa & Tomohiro Kuroda, 2007.
"How Effective are Emissions Taxes in an Open Economy?,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(2), pages 359-368, 05.
- Jota Ishikawa & Tomohiro Kuroda, 2006. "How Effective are Emission Taxes in an Open Economy?," Discussion papers 06007, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Kreickemeier, Udo & Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis, 2008.
"Tari[ff]-tax reforms and market access,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 85-91, August.
- Kreickemeier, Udo & Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis, 2006. "Tariff-Tax Reforms and Market Access," CEPR Discussion Papers 5889, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kreickemeier, Udo & Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis, 2006. "Tariff-Tax Reforms and Market Access," Working Papers 06-2006, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- A. M. Spence, 1981. "The Learning Curve and Competition," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 12(1), pages 49-70, Spring.
- Takumi Naito & Kenzo Abe, 2008. "Welfare- and Revenue-Enhancing Tariff and Tax Reform under Imperfect Competition," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 10(6), pages 1085-1094, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kgu:wpaper:83. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Toshihiro Okada)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.