A Tariff-Tax Reform under Oligopoly and Free Entry
Constructing a model of oligopoly with free entry, this paper examines the effects of a tariff reduction accompanied with a unit of consumption tax increase on welfare, government revenue, and market access. We show that the suggested policy reform reduces welfare while enhancing government revenue and market access by inducing further excess entry. Some implications of this finding are discussed in comparison with the case with a fixed number of firms, which involves a welfare loss and an ambiguous effect on government revenue and market access.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:||Apr 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www-econ.kwansei.ac.jp/~econ/index_e.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kreickemeier, Udo & Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis, 2008.
"Tari[ff]-tax reforms and market access,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 85-91, August.
- Kreickemeier, Udo & Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis, 2006. "Tariff-Tax Reforms and Market Access," CEPR Discussion Papers 5889, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kreickemeier, Udo & Raimondos-Møller, Pascalis, 2006. "Tariff-Tax Reforms and Market Access," Working Papers 06-2006, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Michael O. Moore & Maurizio Zanardi, 2010. "Does Trade Liberalization Affect the Composition of Government Spending in Developing Nations?," Working Papers ECARES 2010_013, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Takumi Naito & Kenzo Abe, 2008. "Welfare- and Revenue-Enhancing Tariff and Tax Reform under Imperfect Competition," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 10(6), pages 1085-1094, December.
- Hatzipanayotou, Panos & Michael, Michael S. & Miller, Stephen M., 1994. "Win-win indirect tax reform : A modest proposal," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 147-151.
- Keen, Michael & Ligthart, Jenny E., 2002. "Coordinating tariff reduction and domestic tax reform," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 489-507, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kgu:wpaper:88. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Toshihiro Okada)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.