Tax Principles and Coordination of Trade and Domestic Policies under Imperfect Competition
We construct an exporting monopoly model to compare destination- and origin-based commodity taxes in a context of a trade and domestic tax reform. We show that an export tax reduction and a change in destination (resp. origin) tax that fix the world price is strictly Pareto-improving (resp. deteriorating), which holds whether markets are integrated or segmented. This result may provide a new rationale for preferring the destination-based consumption tax to the origin-based production tax that has been discussed in the literature of tax harmonization and tax competition.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2013|
|Date of revision:||Nov 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1-155 Uegahara Ichiban-cho, Nishinomiya, Hyogo 662-8501|
Web page: http://www-econ.kwansei.ac.jp/~econ/index_e.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hatzipanayotou, Panos & Michael, Michael S. & Miller, Stephen M., 1994. "Win-win indirect tax reform : A modest proposal," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 147-151.
- Emran, M. Shahe, 2005. "Revenue-increasing and welfare-enhancing reform of taxes on exports," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 277-292, June.
- Jota Ishikawa, 2004. "From Segmented Markets to Integrated Markets: an Analysis of Economic Integration and Antidumping Legislation," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 706-722, 09.
- Ishikawa, Jota, 1998.
"Foreign Monopoly and Trade Policy under Segmented and Integrated Markets,"
1998-03, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- "Ishikawa, Jota", 2000. "Foreign Monopoly and Trade Policy under Segmented and Integrated Markets," Economic Review, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 51(4), pages 321-336, January.
- Takumi Naito & Kenzo Abe, 2008. "Welfare- and Revenue-Enhancing Tariff and Tax Reform under Imperfect Competition," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 10(6), pages 1085-1094, December.
- Jota Ishikawa & Hiroshi Mukunoki, 2008. "Spillover Effects Of Economic Integration In A Three-Country Model," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 59(2), pages 211-227.
- Jota Ishikawa & Hiroshi Mukunoki, 2008. "Effects of Multilateral Trade Liberalization on Prices," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 37-44, 02.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kgu:wpaper:112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Toshihiro Okada)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.