How Effective are Emission Taxes in an Open Economy?
This paper compares emission taxes with other taxes from the viewpoint of emission reduction in an open economy. Using a simple monopoly model, we show that emission taxes may not be very effective to protect environment because of the spillover effects between markets stemming from non-constant marginal costs and transboundary externalities. Other taxes such as production taxes and tariffs are more effective under certain conditions. Thus, an easy application of emission taxes should be discreet in the open economy framework.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901|
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nahata, Babu & Ostaszewski, Krzysztof & Sahoo, P K, 1990. "Direction of Price Changes in Third-Degree Price Discrimination," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1254-58, December.
- Norman J. Ireland, 1984. "Dual Equilibria and Discontinuous Response in Monopolistic Competition with Two Classes of Consumers," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 15(3), pages 377-384, Autumn.
- James R. Markusen & Edward R. Morey & Nancy Olewiler, 1991.
"Environmental Policy When Market Structure and Plant Locations are Endo-genous,"
NBER Working Papers
3671, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen James R. & Morey Edward R. & Olewiler Nancy D., 1993. "Environmental Policy when Market Structure and Plant Locations Are Endogenous," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 69-86, January.
- Formby, John P & Layson, Stephen & Smith, W James, 1982. "The Law of Demand, Positive Sloping Marginal Revenue, and Multiple Profit Equilibria," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 20(2), pages 303-11, April.
- Ishikawa, Jota, 1998.
"Foreign Monopoly and Trade Policy under Segmented and Integrated Markets,"
1998-03, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- "Ishikawa, Jota", 2000. "Foreign Monopoly and Trade Policy under Segmented and Integrated Markets," Economic Review, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 51(4), pages 321-336, January.
- Markusen, James R. & Morey, Edward R. & Olewiler, Nancy, 1995. "Competition in regional environmental policies when plant locations are endogenous," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 55-77, January.
- Michael Rauscher, 1995. "Environmental regulation and the location of polluting industries," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 229-244, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eti:dpaper:06007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.