Financing investment in environmentally sound technologies: Foreign direct investment versus foreign debt finance
This paper develops a screening model to examine the relationship between alternative sources of private capital and investment in environmentally sound technologies (ESTs). In the model, a polluter (agent) must secure investment funds from the international financial markets in order to upgrade its production and abatement technology. The requisite capital can be obtained via either market loans (debt finance) or foreign direct investment (FDI). Under debt finance, the foreign financier supplies only capital and the relationship between the two parties is more [`]arms-length'. By contrast, under FDI, the investor delivers both capital and managerial skills. We use the model to derive the implications of debt finance for optimal investment decisions and compare them to those obtained under FDI. Investment incentives are more pronounced under debt finance.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tracy Lewis & David E.M. Sappington, 1997. "Penalizing Success in Dynamic Incentive Contracts: No. Good Deed Goes Unpunished?," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 28(2), pages 346-358, Summer.
- Assaf Razin & Efraim Sadka & Chi-Wa Yuen, 1996. "Tax Principles and Capital Inflows: Is It Efficient to Tax Nonresident Income?," NBER Working Papers 5513, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gray, Wayne B. & Deily, Mary E., 1996. "Compliance and Enforcement: Air Pollution Regulation in the U.S. Steel Industry," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 96-111, July.
- Kiymaz, Koray & Taylor, Leon, 2000.
"Competition for foreign direct investment when countries are not sure of site values,"
International Review of Economics & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 53-68, February.
- Koray Kiymaz & Leon Taylor, 1998. "Competition for foreign direct investment when countries are not sure of site values," International Trade 9812001, EconWPA, revised 23 Dec 1998.
- Ulph, A. & Valentini, L., 1997. "Plant location and strategic environmental policy with inter-sectoral linkages," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 363-383, November.
- Hayne E. Leland and David H. Pyle., 1976.
"Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
41, University of California at Berkeley.
- Leland, Hayne E & Pyle, David H, 1977. "Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 371-87, May.
- Sugato Bhattacharyya & Francine Lafontaine, 1995. "Double-Sided Moral Hazard and the Nature of Share Contracts," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 26(4), pages 761-781, Winter.
- Choi, Jay Pil, 2001.
"Technology transfer with moral hazard,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 19(1-2), pages 249-266, January.
- Markusen, James R., 1997.
"Costly pollution abatement, competitiveness and plant location decisions,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 299-320, November.
- James R. Markusen, 1996. "Costly Pollution Abatement, Competitiveness, and Plant Location Decisions," NBER Working Papers 5490, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markusen, James R., 1995. "Costly pollution abatement, competitiveness, and plant location decisions," Discussion Papers, Series II 260, University of Konstanz, Collaborative Research Centre (SFB) 178 "Internationalization of the Economy".
- Gorton, Gary & Kahn, James, 2000. "The Design of Bank Loan Contracts," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 13(2), pages 331-64.
- Razin, A & Sadka, E & Yuen, C-W, 1997.
"A Pecking Order of Capital Inflows and International Tax Principles,"
12-97, Tel Aviv - the Sackler Institute of Economic Studies.
- Razin, Assaf & Sadka, Efraim & Yuen, Chi-Wa, 1998. "A pecking order of capital inflows and international tax principles," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 45-68, February.
- Lane, Philip R, 1999.
"North-South Lending with Moral Hazard and Repudiation Risk,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 7(1), pages 50-58, February.
- Philip Lane, 1998. "North-South Lending with Moral Hazard and Repudiation Risk," Economics Technical Papers 989, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Nancy T. Gallini & Brian D. Wright, 1990. "Technology Transfer under Asymmetric Information," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 21(1), pages 147-160, Spring.
- R. Preston McAfee & John McMillan, 1987. "Competition for Agency Contracts," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 18(2), pages 296-307, Summer.
- Jewitt, Ian, 1988. "Justifying the First-Order Approach to Principal-Agent Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(5), pages 1177-90, September.
- Abe, Kenzo & Zhao, Laixun, 2005. "Endogenous international joint ventures and the environment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 221-240, September.
- Albuquerque, Rui, 2003.
"The composition of international capital flows: risk sharing through foreign direct investment,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 353-383, December.
- Rui Albuquerque, 2004. "The Composition of International Capital Flows: Risk Sharing Through Foreign Direct Investment," International Finance 0405004, EconWPA.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Schnitzer, Monika, 1997.
"Debt vs. Foreign Direct Investment: The Impact of Sovereign Risk on the Structure of International Capital Flows,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1608, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Schnitzer, Monika, 2002. "Debt v. Foreign Direct Investment: The Impact of Sovereign Risk on the Structure of International Capital Flows," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 69(273), pages 41-67, February.
- Schnitzer, Monika, 2002. "Debt v. foreign direct investment: The impact of sovereign risk on the structure of international capital flows," Munich Reprints in Economics 19886, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Markusen James R. & Morey Edward R. & Olewiler Nancy D., 1993.
"Environmental Policy when Market Structure and Plant Locations Are Endogenous,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 69-86, January.
- James R. Markusen & Edward R. Morey & Nancy Olewiler, 1991. "Environmental Policy When Market Structure and Plant Locations are Endo-genous," NBER Working Papers 3671, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wheeler, David, 2001. "Racing to the bottom : foreign investment and air pollution in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2524, The World Bank.
- Douglas W. Diamond, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414.
- McAfee, R Preston & McMillan, John, 1991. "Optimal Contracts for Teams," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 32(3), pages 561-77, August.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Haufler, Andreas & Wooton, Ian, 1999.
"Country size and tax competition for foreign direct investment,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
20408, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Haufler, Andreas & Wooton, Ian, 1999. "Country size and tax competition for foreign direct investment," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 121-139, January.
- Andreas Haufler & Ian Wooton, . "Country Size and Tax Competition for Foreign Direct Investment," Working Papers 9702, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Michael Rauscher, 1995. "Environmental regulation and the location of polluting industries," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer;International Institute of Public Finance, vol. 2(2), pages 229-244, August.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1993. "A Theory of Incentives in Procurement and Regulation," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121743, March.
- Bolton, Patrick & Scharfstein, David S, 1990. "A Theory of Predation Based on Agency Problems in Financial Contracting," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(1), pages 93-106, March.
- Markusen, James R. & Morey, Edward R. & Olewiler, Nancy, 1995. "Competition in regional environmental policies when plant locations are endogenous," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 55-77, January.
- Tao, Zhigang & Wang, Susheng, 1998. "Foreign Direct Investment and Contract Enforcement," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 761-782, December.
- Rebecca Neumann, 2003. "International capital flows under asymmetric information and costly monitoring: implications of debt and equity financing," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 36(3), pages 674-700, August.
- Morck, Randall & Shleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert W., 1988. "Management ownership and market valuation : An empirical analysis," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1-2), pages 293-315, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:resene:v:32:y:2010:i:3:p:456-475. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.