Trade and Tax Reforms in a Cash-in-Advance Economy
This paper investigates the determinants of longevity at a macroeconomic level, emphasizing the important role played by education. To analyze the determinants of longevity, we build a model where households intentionally invest in health and education, and where education exerts external effects on longevity. Performing an empirical analysis using data across 71 countries, we find that society’s tertiary education attainment rate is important for longevity, in addition to any role that basic education plays for life expectancy at the individual level. This finding uncovers a key externality of education, consistent with the theoretical hypothesis advanced in our macroeconomic model.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.ucy.ac.cy/econ/en|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chi-Chur Chao & Chong Yip, 2001. "Non-traded goods and optimal trade policy in a cash-in-advance economy," The Journal of International Trade & Economic Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 23-37.
- Theodore Palivos & Chong K. Yip, 1997.
"The Gains from Trade for a Monetary Economy Once Again,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(1), pages 208-23, February.
- Theodore, Palivos & Chong K. Yip, 1996. "The Gains from Trade for a Monetary Economy Once Again," Departmental Working Papers _071, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Emran, M. Shahe, 2005. "Revenue-increasing and welfare-enhancing reform of taxes on exports," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 277-292, June.
- Tatsuo Hatta, 1977. "A Theory of Piecemeal Policy Recommendations," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 44(1), pages 1-21.
- Theodore Palivos & Chong K. Yip, 2006.
"Optimal Intervention Policies for a Small Monetary Economy,"
Departmental Working Papers
_178, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Theodore Palivos & Chong Yip, 2006. "Optimal Intervention Policies for a Small Monetary Economy," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 88(1), pages 69-85, June.
- Chin, Chi-Ting & Guo, Jang-Ting & Lai, Ching-Chong, 2009. "Macroeconomic (in)stability under real interest rate targeting," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(9), pages 1631-1638, September.
- Rod Falvey & Udo Kreickemeier, .
"Tariff Reforms with Rigid Wages,"
07/29, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Chao, Chi-Chur & Yu, Eden S. H., 1999. "Shadow prices and trade restrictions in a monetary economy," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 755-764.
- Michael Keen & Jenny E Ligthart, 1999.
"Coordinating Tariff Reduction and Domestic Tax Reform,"
IMF Working Papers
99/93, International Monetary Fund.
- Keen, Michael & Ligthart, Jenny E., 2002. "Coordinating tariff reduction and domestic tax reform," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 489-507, March.
- Emran, M. Shahe & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 2005.
"On selective indirect tax reform in developing countries,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(4), pages 599-623, April.
- M. Shahe Emran & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 2002. "On Selective Indirect Tax Reform in Developing Countries," International Trade 0210003, EconWPA.
- Hatta, Tatsuo, 1977. "A Recommendation for a Better Tariff Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(8), pages 1859-69, November.
- Theodore, Palivos & Chong K. Yip, 1996. "The Effects of Import Quotas on National Welfare: Does Money Matter?," Departmental Working Papers _072, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Hatzipanayotou, Panos & Michael, Michael S. & Miller, Stephen M., 1994. "Win-win indirect tax reform : A modest proposal," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 147-151.
- Chi-Chur Chao & Chong Yip, 2000. "Urban unemployment and optimal trade policy in a cash-in-advance economy," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 71(1), pages 59-77, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucy:cypeua:1-2009. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.