Revenue Tariff Reform
What kind of tariff reform is likely to raise welfare in situations where tariff revenue is important?� Uncertainty about specification and risk from imprecise parameter estimates of any particular specification reduce the credibility of simulation estimates.� A promising alternative is to develop rules which are robust with respect to such uncertainty.� We present sufficient conditions for a class of linear rule that guarantee welfare-improving tariff reform.� The rules span cones of welfare-improving tariff reforms consisting of convex combinations of (i) trade-weighted-average-tariff-preserving dispersion cuts; and (ii) uniform tariff cuts that preserve domestic relative prices among tariff-ridden goods.
|Date of creation:||13 Dec 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hatta, Tatsuo, 1977. "A Theory of Piecemeal Policy Recommendations," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 1-21, February.
- Rod Falvey, 1994. "Revenue enhancing tariff reform," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 175-190, March.
- Can Erbil, 2004. "Trade Taxes Are Expensive," International Trade 0409002, EconWPA.
- Michael Keen & Thomas Baunsgaard, 2005.
"Tax Revenue and (or?) Trade Liberalization,"
IMF Working Papers
05/112, International Monetary Fund.
- Hatzipanayotou, Panos & Michael, Michael S. & Miller, Stephen M., 1994. "Win-win indirect tax reform : A modest proposal," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 44(1-2), pages 147-151.
- Anderson, James E. & Neary, J. Peter, 2007.
"Welfare versus market access: The implications of tariff structure for tariff reform,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 187-205, March.
- James E. Anderson & J. Peter Neary, 2004. "Welfare versus Market Access: The Implications of Tariff Structure for Tariff Reform," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 601, Boston College Department of Economics.
- James E Anderson & J Peter Neary, 2004. "Welfare versus Market Access - The Implications of Tariff Structure for Tariff Reform," Working Papers 200423, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Diamond, Peter A & Mirrlees, James A, 1971. "Optimal Taxation and Public Production II: Tax Rules," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(3), pages 261-78, June.
- Anderson, James E & Neary, J Peter, 1992. "Trade Reform with Quotas, Partial Rent Retention, and Tariffs," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 57-76, January.
- Tatsuo Hatta & Yoshitomo Ogawa, 2007. "Optimal Tariffs under a Revenue Constraint," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 15(3), pages 560-573, 08.
- Bruno, Michael, 1972. "Market Distortions and Gradual Reform," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(3), pages 373-83, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oxf:wpaper:688. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Wise)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.