The Effect of Export Tax on Indonesia’s Cocoa Export Competitiveness
The government of Indonesia implemented an export tax policy on cocoa beans since April 2010 in order to develop cocoa processing industry. The objective of this article is to analyze the effect of export tax on Indonesia’s cocoa export competitiveness. The results indicate that with the implementation of export tax, cocoa export product composition shift from cocoa beans to processed cocoa products. On the other hand, Indonesia’s cocoa export growth is lower than the growth of cocoa world demand which is mainly caused by the decrease of competitiveness. Comparing the three cocoa beans producer, Ghana has gain competitiveness in 2011 compare to 2009.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0409 032 338
Web page: http://www.aares.info/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Burger, Kees, 2008. "Optimal export taxes – the case of cocoa in Cote d'Ivoire," 107th Seminar, January 30-February 1, 2008, Sevilla, Spain 6395, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Stephen Marks & Donald Larson & Jacqueline Pomeroy, 1998. "Economic Effects of Taxes on Exports of Palm Oil Products," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(3), pages 37-58.
- Yilmaz, Kamil, 1999. "Optimal export taxes in a multicountry framework," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(2), pages 439-465, December.
- Takamasa Akiyama, 1992. "Is there a case for an optimal export tax on perennial crops?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 854, The World Bank.
- Permani, Risti & Vanzetti, David & Setyoko, Nur Rakhman, 2011. "Optimum Level and Welfare Effects of Export Taxes for Cocoa Beans in Indonesia: A Partial Equilibrium Approach," 2011 Conference (55th), February 8-11, 2011, Melbourne, Australia 100695, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Richardson, J David, 1971. "Some Sensitivity Tests for a 'Constant-Market-Shares' Analysis of Export Growth," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(3), pages 300-04, August.
- Peter Warr, 2002. "Export taxes and income distribution: The Philippines coconut levy," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 138(3), pages 437-458, September.
- Mohamad F. Hasan & Michael R. Reed & Mary A. Marchant, 2001. "Effects of an Export Tax on Competitiveness: The Case of the Indonesian Palm Oil Industry," Journal of Economic Development, Chung-Ang Unviersity, Department of Economics, vol. 26(2), pages 77-90, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aare13:152175. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.