Drought and famine relationships in Sudan: policy implications
Sudan is one of the few countries where famine still persists. Why? What are the determinants of famine in Sudan? What is the role of drought, especially in the context of economic policy failure and war? Who is affected by famine? What needs to be done to mitigate and prevent famine? These are some of the questions addressed in Drought and Famine Relationships in Sudan: Policy Implications, Research Report 88, by Tesfaye Teklu, Joachim von Braun, and Elsayed Zaki. The research is particularly concerned with quantitatively tracing the drought-production-consumption-nutrition linkages under famine conditions at the household level in order to identify effective means of alleviating and preventing famine.... while famine is often strongly linked to drought, this research finds that even under the severe economic constraints of Sudan, suitable government planning and action can forestall that linkage.
|Date of creation:||1991|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Waterfield, Charles, 1985. "Disaggregating food consumption parameters : Designing targeted nutritional interventions," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 337-351, November.
- Corbett, Jane, 1988. "Famine and household coping strategies," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 16(9), pages 1099-1112, September.
- Timmer, C. Peter, 1974. "A Model of Rice Marketing Margins in Indonesia," Food Research Institute Studies, Stanford University, Food Research Institute, issue 02.
- Cuddy, John D A & Della Valle, P A, 1978. "Measuring the Instability of Time Series Data," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 40(1), pages 79-85, February.
- Adams, Martin E & Howell, John, 1979. "Developing the Traditional Sector in the Sudan," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 27(3), pages 505-18, April.
- Pinstrup-Andersen, Per, 1985. "Food Prices and the Poor in Developing Countries," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 12(1-2), pages 69-81.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:resrep:88. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.