Wheat policy reform in Egypt: adjustment of local markets and options for future reforms
Many developing countries are in transition from a state-dominated to a more market-oriented economy. Because agriculture is of primary importance in most developing countries,the state is usually heavily involved in both input and output markets and in controlling prices and trade. However, concerns that market liberalization will result in higher consumer food prices and hurt the poor means that many countries, such as Egypt, have, at best, undertaken only partial agricultural sector reforms. It has been argued that such concerns are unwarranted and that further market liberalization is not only needed, but achievable without increasing impoverishment. IFPRI Research Report 115 sheds light on these critical issues through an analysis of wheat policy reform in Egypt.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hanoch, Giora, 1975. "The Elasticity of Scale and the Shape of Average Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 492-97, June.
- Hirotugu Akaike, 1969. "Fitting autoregressive models for prediction," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 243-247, December.
- Scobie, Grant McDonald, 1981. "Government policy and food imports: the case of wheat in Egypt," Research reports 29, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lofgren, Hans & Robinson, Sherman & Nygaard, David, 1996. "Tiger or turtle?: exploring alternative futures for Egypt to 2020," TMD discussion papers 11, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Rutherford, Thomas F., 1995. "Extension of GAMS for complementarity problems arising in applied economic analysis," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(8), pages 1299-1324, November.
- Alderman, Harold & von Braun, Joachim, 1986. "Egypt's food subsidy policy : Lessons and options," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 223-237, August.
- Ahmed, Akhter U. & Gutner, Tamar & Lofgren, Hans & Bouis, Howarth E., 2001. "The Egyptian food subsidy system: structure, performance, and options for reform," Research reports 119, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ali, Sonia M. & Adams, Richard Jr, 1996. "The Egyptian food subsidy system: Operation and effects on income distribution," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(11), pages 1777-1791, November.
- Lofgren, Hans, 1995. "Macro and micro effects of subsidy cuts: a short-run CGE analysis for Egypt," TMD discussion papers 5, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gilligan, Thomas & Smirlock, Michael & Marshall, William, 1984. "Scale and scope economies in the multi-product banking firm," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 393-405, May.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Kherallah, Mylène & Minot, Nicholas & Gruhn, Peter, 1999. "Adjustment of wheat production to market reform in Egypt," MTID discussion papers 32, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Esfahani, Hadi Salehi, 1987. "Technical change, employment, and supply response of agriculture in the Nile Delta : A system-wide approach," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 167-196, February.
- M Thissen & H LÃ¶fgren, 1998. "A New Approach to SAM Updating with an Application to Egypt," Environment and Planning A, , vol. 30(11), pages 1991-2003, November.
- Hans L�fgren & Sherman Robinson, 1999. "Nonseparable Farm Household Decisions in a Computable General Equilibrium Model," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 663-670.
- Mendoza, Meyra Sebello & Rosegrant, Mark W., 1995. "Pricing behavior in Philippine corn markets: implications for market efficiency," Research reports 101, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Cuddy, John D A & Della Valle, P A, 1978. "Measuring the Instability of Time Series Data," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 40(1), pages 79-85, February.
- Shaffer, Sherrill, 1984. "Scale Economies in Multiproduct Firms," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 36(1), pages 51-58, May.
- M Thissen & H Lofgren, 1998. "A new approach to SAM updating with an application to Egypt," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 30(11), pages 1991-2003, November.
- Murray, John D & White, Robert W, 1983. " Economies of Scale and Economies of Scope in Multiproduct Financial Institutions: A Study of British Columbia Credit Unions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 887-902, June.
- Badiane, Ousmane & Shively, Gerald E., 1997. "The response of local maize prices to the 1983 currency devaluation in Ghana," MTID discussion papers 12, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Joseph Hayes & Michael Roth & Lydia Zepeda, 1997. "Tenure Security, Investment and Productivity in Gambian Agriculture: A Generalized Probit Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 369-382.
- Dahl, Reynold P. & Kanninen, Barbara, 1993. "Minnesota Agricultural Economist 672," Minnesota Applied Economist/Minnesota Agricultural Economist 13197, University of Minnesota, Department of Applied Economics.
- Farrar, Curtis, 2000. "A review of food subsidy research at IFPRI," Impact assessments 12, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Jayne, T. S. & Argwings-Kodhek, Gem, 1997. "Consumer response to maize market liberalization in urban Kenya," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 447-458, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:resrep:115. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.