Banking across borders with heterogeneous banks
Individual banks differ substantially in their foreign operations. This paper introduces heterogeneous banks into a general equilibrium framework of banking across borders to explain the documented variation. While the model matches existing micro and macro evidence, novel and unexplored predictions of the theory are also strongly supported by the data: The efficiency of the least efficient bank active in a host country increases the greater the impediments to banking across borders and the efficiency of the banking sector in the host country. There is also evidence of a tradeoff between proximity and fixed costs in banking. Banks hold more assets and liabilities in foreign affiliates relative to cross-border positions if the target country is further away and the cost of foreign direct investment is low. These results suggest that fixed costs play a crucial role in the foreign activities of banks.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.newyorkfed.org/Email:
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.ny.frb.org/rmaghome/staff_rp/ Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth P. Brevoort & John D. Wolken, 2008. "Does distance matter in banking?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2008-34, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Thierry Mayer & Soledad Zignago, 2005.
"Market Access in Global and Regional Trade,"
2005-02, CEPII research center.
- De Sousa, Jose & Mayer, Thierry & Zignago, Soledad, 2011. "Market access in global and regional trade," MPRA Paper 35602, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- de Sousa, José & Mayer, Thierry & Zignago, Soledad, 2012. "Market Access in Global and Regional Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 9085, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- De Sousa, José & Mayer, Thierry & Zignago, Soledad, 2012. "Market Access in Global and Regional Trade," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1201, CEPREMAP.
- Soledad Zignago & Thierry Mayer, 2005. "Market Access in Global and Regional Trade," Sciences Po publications 2005-02, Sciences Po.
- de Sousa, J. & Mayer, T. & Zignago, S., 2011. "Market access in global and regional trade," Working papers 358, Banque de France.
- Huberto M. Ennis, 2001. "On the size distribution of banks," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Fall, pages 1-25.
- Degryse, H.A. & Ongena, S., 2003.
"Distance, Lending Relationships, and Competition,"
2003-123, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Degryse, H.A. & Ongena, S., 2002. "Distance, Lending Relationships and Competition," Discussion Paper 2002-16, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Hans Degryse & Steven Ongena, 2002. "Distance, Lending Relationships, and Competition," CSEF Working Papers 80, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Joseph F. Francois & B. Hoekman, 2009.
"Services Trade and Policy,"
wiiw Working Papers
60, The Vienna Institute for International Economic Studies, wiiw.
- Joseph F. Francois & Bernard Hoekman, 2009. "Services Trade and Policy," Economics working papers 2009-03, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Francois, Joseph & Hoekman, Bernard, 2009. "Services Trade and Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 7616, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Monika Mrázová & J. Peter Neary, 2012.
"Selection Effects with Heterogeneous Firms,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp1174, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Peter Neary & Monika Mrazova, 2011. "Selection Effects with Heterogeneous Firms," Economics Series Working Papers 588, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Monika Mrázová & J. Peter Neary, 2012. "Selection effects with heterogeneous firms," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 51521, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Mrázová, Monika & Neary, J Peter, 2013. "Selection Effects With Heterogeneous Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 9288, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Friederike Niepmann, 2011.
"Banking across Borders,"
DNB Working Papers
325, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- Friederike Niepmann, 2013. "Banking across Borders," CESifo Working Paper Series 4120, CESifo Group Munich.
- Friederike Niepmann, 2012. "Banking across borders," Staff Reports 576, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Niepmann, Friederike, 2013. "Banking across borders," Discussion Papers 19/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Claudia M. Buch & Cathérine Tahmee Koch & Michael Kötter, 2009.
"Margins of International Banking: Is there a Productivity Pecking Order in Banking, too?,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2891, CESifo Group Munich.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Koch, Cathérine Tahmee & Koetter, Michael, 2009. "Margins of international banking: is there a productivity pecking order in banking, too?," Discussion Paper Series 2: Banking and Financial Studies 2009,12, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Lipponer, Alexander, 2007. "FDI versus exports: Evidence from German banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 805-826, March.
- Beatriz de Blas & Katheryn Niles Russ, 2010.
"All Banks Great, Small, and Global: Loan pricing and foreign competition,"
NBER Working Papers
16029, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- de Blas, Beatriz & Russ, Katheryn Niles, 2013. "All banks great, small, and global: Loan pricing and foreign competition," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(C), pages 4-24.
- Lehner, Maria, 2009. "Entry mode choice of multinational banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1781-1792, October.
- Dario Focarelli & Alberto Franco Pozzolo, 2005.
"Where Do Banks Expand Abroad? An Empirical Analysis,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(6), pages 2435-2464, November.
- Focarelli, Dario & Pozzolo, Alberto Franco, 2003. "Where Do Banks Expand Abroad? An Empirical Analysis," Economics & Statistics Discussion Papers esdp03009, University of Molise, Dept. EGSeI.
- Buch, Claudia M. & Koch, Cathérine T. & Koetter, Michael, 2011. "Size, productivity, and international banking," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 329-334.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fednsr:609. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Farber)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.