Long-term issues in international banking
International banking has been an important driver of financial globalisation and integration, thus contributing to welfare gains over time and across countries. During the recent crisis, however, the plight of many internationally active banks epitomised the fragility of the financial system. This underscored the importance of a proper understanding of the drivers and effects of cross-border intermediation. This report - prepared by a Study Group chaired by Hans-Helmut Kotz, formerly of the German Bundesbank - documents general trends in the historical evolution of international banking, discusses various drivers of this evolution and examines the impact of international banking on financial stability and the macroeconomy. It also analyses possible future developments in cross-border intermediation, paying particular attention to the interplay between market- and bank-based activities.
|This book is provided by Bank for International Settlements in its series CGFS Papers with number 41 and published in 2010.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centralbahnplatz 2, CH - 4002 Basel|
Phone: (41) 61 - 280 80 80
Fax: (41) 61 - 280 91 00
Web page: http://www.bis.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claudia Girardone & Philip Molyneux & Edward Gardener, 2004. "Analysing the determinants of bank efficiency: the case of Italian banks," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(3), pages 215-227.
- Arturo Galindo & Alejandro Micco & César Manuel Serra, 2003. "Better the Devil that You Know: Evidence on Entry Costs Faced by Foreign Banks," Research Department Publications 4313, .
- Cerutti, Eugenio & Dell'Ariccia, Giovanni & Martinez Peria, Maria Soledad, 2005.
"How banks go abroad : branches or subsidiaries ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3753, The World Bank.
- Lensink, Robert & Meesters, Aljar & Naaborg, Ilko, 2008.
"Bank efficiency and foreign ownership: Do good institutions matter?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 834-844, May.
- Robert Lensink & Aljar Meesters & Ilko Naaborg, 2008. "Bank efficiency and foreign ownership: do good institutions matter?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/14283, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Van Horen, Neeltje, 2007. "Foreign banking in developing countries; origin matters," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 81-105, May.
- Claessens, Stijn & Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Huizinga, Harry, 1998. "How does foreign entry affect the domestic banking market?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1918, The World Bank.
- Caterina Giannetti & Nicola Jentzsch & Giancarlo Spagnolo, 2010.
"Information Sharing and Cross-border Entry in European Banking,"
CEIS Research Paper
178, Tor Vergata University, CEIS, revised 21 Dec 2010.
- Giannetti, Caterina & Jentzsch, Nicola & Spagnolo, Giancarlo, 2010. "Information Sharing and Cross-Border Entry in European Banking," ECRI Papers 2990, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Caterina Giannetti & Nicola Jentzsch & Giancarlo Spagnolo, 2010. "Information Sharing and Cross-border Entry in European Banking," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 980, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan & Elias Papaioannou & José-Luis Peydró, 2009.
"What Lies Beneath the Euro's Effect on Financial Integration: Currency Risk, Legal Harmonization, or Trade?,"
NBER Working Papers
15034, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Papaioannou, Elias & Peydró, José-Luis, 2010. "What lies beneath the euro's effect on financial integration? Currency risk, legal harmonization, or trade?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 75-88, May.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Papaioannou, Elias & Peydró, José-Luis, 2010. "What lies beneath the euro's effect on financial integration? Currency risk, legal harmonization, or trade?," Working Paper Series 1216, European Central Bank.
- Kalemli-Ozcan, Sebnem & Papaioannou, Elias & Peydró, José Luis, 2009. "What Lies Beneath the Euro's Effect on Financial Integration? Currency Risk, Legal Harmonization, or Trade?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7314, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yongil Jeon & Stephen M. Miller & Paul A. Natke, 2003.
"Do Foreign Bank Operations Provide a Stabilizing Influence in Korea?,"
2004-21, University of Connecticut, Department of Economics.
- Jeon, Yongil & Miller, Stephen M. & Natke, Paul A., 2006. "Do foreign bank operations provide a stabilizing influence in Korea?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 82-109, February.
- Robert DeYoung & Douglas Evanoff & Philip Molyneux, 2009. "Mergers and Acquisitions of Financial Institutions: A Review of the Post-2000 Literature," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 87-110, December.
- Robert McCauley & Patrick McGuire & Goetz von Peter, 2010. "The architecture of global banking: from international to multinational?," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, March.
- Yener Altunbas & Santiago Carbo & Edward P.M. Gardener & Philip Molyneux, 2007. "Examining the Relationships between Capital, Risk and Efficiency in European Banking," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 13(1), pages 49-70.
- repec:idb:brikps:6500 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bis:biscgf:41. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Beslmeisl)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.