Growth and economic crises in Turkey: leaving behind a turbulent past?
Turkey's performance in the current crisis shows that it has managed to weather the global stormy conditions relatively well and avoid collapsing into a full-fledged currency and financial crisis. On the face of it, one could conclude economic reforms introduced since 2001 have paid off and today's performance marks a clean break with the past. But there are also indications that the Turkish economy still retains some of its old vulnerabilities. By determining how resilient Turkey's economy has become to domestic and international economic volatility, one can better assess the sustainability of the accelerated economic convergence process on which Turkey embarked after the 2001 crisis.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Coomunivcations Unit, B-1049 Bruxelles / Brussels|
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Demirguc-Kent, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 1998.
"Financial liberalization and financial fragility,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1917, The World Bank.
- Anne-Marie Brook & Edward R. Whitehouse, 2006.
"The Turkish Pension System: Further Reforms to Help Solve the Informality Problem,"
OECD Economics Department Working Papers
529, OECD Publishing.
- Anne-Marie Brook & Edward R. Whitehouse, 2006. "The Turkish Pension System: Further Reforms to Help Solve the Informality Problem," OECD Social, Employment and Migration Working Papers 44, OECD Publishing.
- Altug, Sumru G. & Filiztekin, Alpay & Pamuk, Sevket, 2007. "The Sources of Long-term Economic Growth for Turkey, 1880-2005," CEPR Discussion Papers 6463, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Tasso Adamopoulos & Ahmet Akyol, 2006.
"Relative Stagnation alla Turca,"
2006 Meeting Papers
703, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ahmet Faruk Aysan & Sanli Pinar Ceyhan, 2007.
"Market Disciplining Role of Crises on The Restructuring of the Turkish Banking Sector,"
2007/18, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Aysan, Ahmet Faruk & Ceyhan, Sanli Pinar, 2007. "Market Disciplining Role of Crisis on the Restructuring of the Turkish Banking Sector," MPRA Paper 5492, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Akyuz, Yilmaz & Boratav, Korkut, 2003. "The Making of the Turkish Financial Crisis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(9), pages 1549-1566, September.
- Prakash Kannan, 2008. "Perspectives on High Real Interest Rates in Turkey," IMF Working Papers 08/251, International Monetary Fund.
- Özlem Onaran, 2006. "Speculation-led growth and fragility in Turkey: Does EU make a difference or "can it happen again"?," Department of Economics Working Papers wuwp093, Vienna University of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:euf:ecopap:0386. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.