Estimation of tail thickness parameters from GJR-GARCH models
We propose a method of estimating the Pareto tail thickness parameter of the unconditional distribution of a financial time series by exploiting the implications of a GJR-GARCH volatility model. The method is based on some recent work on the extremes of GARCH-type processes and extends the method proposed by Berkes, Horváth and Kokoszka (2003). We show that the estimator of tail thickness is consistent and converges at rate ?T to a normal distribution (where T is the sample size), provided the model for conditional variance is correctly specified as a GJR-GARCH. This is much faster than the convergence rate of the Hill estimator, since that procedure only uses a vanishing fraction of the sample. We also develop new specification tests based on this method and propose new alternative estimates of unconditional value at risk. We show in Monte Carlo simulations the advantages of our procedure in finite samples; and finally an application concludes the paper
|Date of creation:||Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C./ Madrid, 126, 28903 Getafe (Madrid)|
Phone: +34-91 6249594
Fax: +34-91 6249329
Web page: http://www.eco.uc3m.es
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Hill, Jonathan B., 2010.
"On Tail Index Estimation For Dependent, Heterogeneous Data,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(05), pages 1398-1436, October.
- Jonathan B. Hill, 2005. "On Tail Index Estimation for Dependent, Heterogenous Data," Econometrics 0505005, EconWPA, revised 27 May 2005.
- Ling, Shiqing & McAleer, Michael, 2003.
"Asymptotic Theory For A Vector Arma-Garch Model,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(02), pages 280-310, April.
- Groenendijk, Patrick A. & Lucas, Andre & de Vries, Casper G., 1995. "A note on the relationship between GARCH and symmetric stable processes," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 253-264, September.
- Wagner, Niklas & Marsh, Terry A., 2005. "Measuring tail thickness under GARCH and an application to extreme exchange rate changes," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 165-185, January.
- Fan, Yanqin & Ullah, Aman, 1999. "Asymptotic Normality of a Combined Regression Estimator," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 71(2), pages 191-240, November.
- Markowitz, Harry M, 1991.
" Foundations of Portfolio Theory,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 469-77, June.
- MEITZ, Mika & SAIKKONEN, Pentti, 2006.
"Stability of nonlinear AR-GARCH models,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2006078, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Meitz, Mika & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2006. "Stability of nonlinear AR-GARCH models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 632, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2007. "Stability of nonlinear AR-GARCH models," Economics Series Working Papers 328, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Xavier Gabaix & Rustam Ibragimov, 2011.
"Rank - 1 / 2: A Simple Way to Improve the OLS Estimation of Tail Exponents,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(1), pages 24-39, January.
- Xavier Gabaix & Rustam Ibragimov, 2007. "Rank-1/2: A Simple Way to Improve the OLS Estimation of Tail Exponents," NBER Technical Working Papers 0342, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dennis W. Jansen & Casper de Vries, 1988.
"On the frequency of large stock returns: putting booms and busts into perspective,"
1989-006, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Jansen, Dennis W & de Vries, Casper G, 1991. "On the Frequency of Large Stock Returns: Putting Booms and Busts into Perspective," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(1), pages 18-24, February.
- Benoit Mandelbrot, 1963. "The Variation of Certain Speculative Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 36, pages 394.
- Phillip Kearns & Adrian Pagan, 1997. "Estimating The Density Tail Index For Financial Time Series," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(2), pages 171-175, May.
- Oliver Linton, 1993.
"Adaptive Estimation in ARCH Models,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1054, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Niklas Wagner & Terry A. Marsh, 2004. "Measuring Tail Thickness under GARCH and an Application to Extreme Exchange Rate Changes," Econometrics 0401008, EconWPA.
- Joris Pinkse & Margaret E. Slade & Craig Brett, 2002. "Spatial Price Competition: A Semiparametric Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(3), pages 1111-1153, May.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Hols, Martien C A B & de Vries, Casper G, 1991. "The Limiting Distribution of Extremal Exchange Rate Returns," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(3), pages 287-302, July-Sept.
- Einmahl, J. H.J. & Dekkers, A. L.M. & de Haan, L., 1989. "A moment estimator for the index of an extreme-value distribution," Other publications TiSEM 81970cb3-5b7a-4cad-9bf6-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "Stationarity and Persistence in the GARCH(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 318-334, September.
- Theis Lange & Anders Rahbek & S�ren Tolver Jensen, 2011. "Estimation and Asymptotic Inference in the AR-ARCH Model," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(2), pages 129-153.
- Berkes, Istv n & Horv th, Lajos & Kokoszka, Piotr, 2003. "Estimation Of The Maximal Moment Exponent Of A Garch(1,1) Sequence," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(04), pages 565-586, August.
- Huisman, Ronald, et al, 2001. "Tail-Index Estimates in Small Samples," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(2), pages 208-16, April.
- Jensen, S ren Tolver & Rahbek, Anders, 2004. "Asymptotic Inference For Nonstationary Garch," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(06), pages 1203-1226, December.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1987. "Consistency in Nonlinear Econometric Models: A Generic Uniform Law of Large Numbers [On Unification of the Asymptotic Theory of Nonlinear Econometric Models]," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(6), pages 1465-71, November.
- Liang Peng, 2003. "Least absolute deviations estimation for ARCH and GARCH models," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 90(4), pages 967-975, December.
- Lee, Sang-Won & Hansen, Bruce E., 1994. "Asymptotic Theory for the Garch(1,1) Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimator," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 29-52, March.
- Slade, Margaret E, 1986. "Exogeneity Tests of Market Boundaries Applied to Petroleum Products," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(3), pages 291-303, March.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cte:werepe:we094726. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.