Interval estimation of the tail index of a GARCH(1,1) model
It is known that the tail index of a GARCH model is determined by a moment equation, which involves the underlying unknown parameters of the model. A tail index estimator can therefore be constructed by solving the sample moment equation with the unknown parameters being replaced by its quasi-maximum likelihood estimates (QMLE). To construct a confidence interval for the tail index, one needs to estimate the non-trivial asymptotic variance of the QMLE. In this paper, an empirical likelihood method is proposed for interval estimation of the tail index. One advantage of the proposed method is that interval estimation can still be achieved without having to estimate the complicated asymptotic variance. A simulation study confirms the advantage of the proposed method. Copyright Sociedad de Estadística e Investigación Operativa 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 21 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=120411|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Basrak, Bojan & Davis, Richard A. & Mikosch, Thomas, 2002. "Regular variation of GARCH processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 95-115, May.
- Song Chen & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2009. "A review on empirical likelihood methods for regression," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 415-447, November.
- Quintos, Carmela & Fan, Zhenhong & Phillips, Peter C B, 2001. "Structural Change Tests in Tail Behaviour and the Asian Crisis," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 68(3), pages 633-63, July.
- Ling, Shiqing, 2007. "Self-weighted and local quasi-maximum likelihood estimators for ARMA-GARCH/IGARCH models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(2), pages 849-873, October.
- Song Chen & Ingrid Van Keilegom, 2009. "Rejoinder on: A review on empirical likelihood methods for regression," TEST: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 468-474, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:testjl:v:21:y:2012:i:3:p:546-565. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.