HIV/AIDS and Poverty in South Africa : A Bayesian Estimation
In this paper we estimate the causal impact of HIV/AIDS on monetary poverty. Using a paneldatabase from South Africa, we model the consequences of illness on both labor income andtransfers. We treat endogeneity and selection problems associated to HIV/AIDS through using aselection model that includes correlated fixed-effects both in the level and the participationequations, which are estimated simultaneously via original Bayesian methods. While no significantimpact of HIV/AIDS on household labor income is found due to households recomposition, asignificant and asymmetric impact on income transfers emerges. For urban populations, we find thatHIV/AIDS has a positive impact on the probability of receiving social and private transfers, servingto marginally reduce poverty, while for rural populations, HIV/AIDS causes a substantial fall inreceived transfers and dramatically increases chronic poverty.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 15 Boulevard Gabriel Peri 92245 Malakoff Cedex|
Phone: 01 41 17 60 81
Web page: http://www.crest.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckman, James J, 1979.
"Sample Selection Bias as a Specification Error,"
Econometric Society, vol. 47(1), pages 153-61, January.
- Coate, Stephen & Ravallion, Martin, 1993. "Reciprocity without commitment : Characterization and performance of informal insurance arrangements," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 1-24, February.
- Ethan Ligon & Jonathan P. Thomas & Tim Worrall, 1998.
"Mutual Insurance, Individual Savings and Limited Commitment,"
Keele Department of Economics Discussion Papers (1995-2001)
98/14, Department of Economics, Keele University.
- Ethan Ligon & Jonathan P. Thomas & Tim Worrall, 2000. "Mutual Insurance, Individual Savings and Limited Commitment," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 3(2), pages 216-246, April.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Flore Gubert, 2007.
"Risk Sharing and Network Formation,"
Economics Series Working Papers
GPRG-WPS-067, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/10840 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dean R. Hyslop, 1999. "State Dependence, Serial Correlation and Heterogeneity in Intertemporal Labor Force Participation of Married Women," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(6), pages 1255-1294, November.
- Maitra, Pushkar & Ray, Ranjan, 2003. "The effect of transfers on household expenditure patterns and poverty in South Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 23-49, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crs:wpaper:2009-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.