The Network Structure of International Trade
I build a simple dynamic model of the formation of an international social network of importers and exporters. Firms can only export into markets in which they have a contact. They acquire new contacts both at random, and via their network of existing contacts. This model explains (i) the cross-sectional distribution of the number of foreign markets accessed by individual exporters, (ii) the cross-sectional geographic distribution of foreign contacts, and (iii) the dynamics of firm level exports. I show that the firm level dynamics of trade can explain the observed cross section of firm level exports. All theoretical predictions are supported by the data.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antras, Pol & Costinot, Arnaud, 2011.
4784024, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Xavier Gabaix, 1999. "Zipf'S Law For Cities: An Explanation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(3), pages 739-767, August.
- Matthew O. Jackson & Brian W. Rogers, 2007. "Meeting Strangers and Friends of Friends: How Random Are Social Networks?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 97(3), pages 890-915, June.
- Burchardi, Konrad B. & Hassan, Tarek, 2011.
"The Economic Impact of Social Ties: Evidence from German Reunification,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8470, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Konrad B. Burchardi & Tarek A. Hassan, 2013. "The Economic Impact of Social Ties: Evidence from German Reunification," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 128(3), pages 1219-1271.
- Konrad B. Burchardi & Tarek Alexander Hassan, 2011. "The Economic Impact of Social Ties: Evidence from German Reunification," NBER Working Papers 17186, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Konrad B. Burchardi & Tarek A. Hassan, 2011. "The Economic Impact of Social Ties: Evidence from German Reunification," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 405, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Krugman, Paul, 1980. "Scale Economies, Product Differentiation, and the Pattern of Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 950-59, December.
- James E. Rauch & Vitor Trindade, 2002.
"Ethnic Chinese Networks In International Trade,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 116-130, February.
- Thierry Mayer & Soledad Zignago, 2011.
"Notes on CEPII’s distances measures: The GeoDist database,"
2011-25, CEPII research center.
- Brian W. Rogers & Yann Bramoullé, 2009.
"diversity and popularity in social networks,"
2009 Meeting Papers
287, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Yann Bramoulle & Brian Rogers, 2009. "Diversity and Popularity in Social Networks," Discussion Papers 1475, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Yann Bramoullé & Brian W. Rogers, 2009. "Diversity and Popularity in Social Networks," Cahiers de recherche 0903, CIRPEE.
- Thomas Chaney, 2008. "Distorted Gravity: The Intensive and Extensive Margins of International Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(4), pages 1707-21, September.
- Roc Armenter & Miklós Koren, 2008.
"A Balls-and-Bins Model of Trade,"
CeFiG Working Papers
3, Center for Firms in the Global Economy, revised 01 May 2008.
- C. A. Hidalgo & B. Klinger & A. -L. Barabasi & R. Hausmann, 2007. "The Product Space Conditions the Development of Nations," Papers 0708.2090, arXiv.org.
- Shang-Jin Wei & Jaebin Ahn & Amit K. Khandelwal, 2010.
"The Role of Intermediaries in Facilitating Trade,"
- Erzo G. J. Luttmer, 2007. "Selection, Growth, and the Size Distribution of Firms," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 122(3), pages 1103-1144, 08.
- Miklos Koren & Roc Armenter, 2009.
"Economies of Scale and the Size of Exporters,"
2009 Meeting Papers
1269, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Roc Armenter & Miklós Koren, 2009. "Economies of Scale and the Size of Exporters," CeFiG Working Papers 7, Center for Firms in the Global Economy, revised 12 Mar 2009.
- Roc Armenter & Miklos Koren, 2009. "Economies of scale and the size of exporters," Working Papers 09-15, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Combes, Pierre-Philippe & Lafourcade, Miren & Mayer, Thierry, 2005. "The trade-creating effects of business and social networks: evidence from France," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 1-29, May.
- Robert C. Feenstra & Robert E. Lipsey & Haiyan Deng & Alyson C. Ma & Hengyong Mo, 2005. "World Trade Flows: 1962-2000," NBER Working Papers 11040, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:8240. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.