This paper develops a simple model of international trade with intermediation. We consider an economy with two islands and two types of agents, farmers and traders. Farmers can produce two goods, but to sell these goods in centralized (Walrasian) markets, they need to be matched with a trader, and this entails costly search. In the absence of search frictions, our model reduces to a standard Ricardian model of trade. We use this simple model to contrast the implications of changes in the integration of Walrasian markets, which allow traders from different islands to exchange their goods, and changes in the access to these Walrasian markets, which allow farmers to trade with traders from different islands. We find that intermediation always magnifies the gains from trade under the former type of integration, but leads to more nuanced welfare results under the latter, including the possibility of aggregate losses. Copyright 2011, Oxford University Press.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 126 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Akerman, Anders, 2010. "A Theory on the Role of Wholesalers in International Trade based on Economies of Scope," Research Papers in Economics 2010:1, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Costinot, Arnaud, 2008.
"Jobs, Jobs, Jobs: A "New" Perspective on Protectionism,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt1cp9749b, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Arnaud Costinot, 2009. "Jobs, Jobs, Jobs: A "New" Perspective on Protectionism," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 7(5), pages 1011-1041, 09.
- David Hummels & Volodymyr Lugovskyy & Alexandre Skiba, 2007.
"The Trade Reducing Effects of Market Power in International Shipping,"
NBER Working Papers
12914, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hummels, David & Lugovskyy, Volodymyr & Skiba, Alexandre, 2009. "The trade reducing effects of market power in international shipping," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 84-97, May.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Vargas Hill, 2004.
"Selling at the farm-gate or travelling to market,"
CSAE Working Paper Series
2004-30, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Ahn, JaeBin & Khandelwal, Amit K. & Wei, Shang-Jin, 2011.
"The role of intermediaries in facilitating trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 73-85, May.
- Shang-Jin Wei & Jaebin Ahn & Amit K. Khandelwal, 2010. "The Role of Intermediaries in Facilitating Trade," Working Papers id:2557, eSocialSciences.
- JaeBin Ahn & Amit K. Khandelwal & Shang-Jin Wei, 2010. "The Role of Intermediaries in Facilitating Trade," NBER Working Papers 15706, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davidson, Carl & Martin, Lawrence & Matusz, Steven, 1988. "The Structure of Simple General Equilibrium Models with Frictional Unemployment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(6), pages 1267-93, December.
- Davidson, Carl & Martin, Lawrence & Matusz, Steven, 1999. "Trade and search generated unemployment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 271-299, August.
- Antràs, Pol & Costinot, Arnaud, 2010.
"Intermediation and Economic Integration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7697, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pol Antràs & Arnaud Costinot, 2010. "Intermediation and Economic Integration," NBER Working Papers 15751, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Costinot, Arnaud & Antras, Pol, 2010. "Intermediation and Economic Integration," Scholarly Articles 4784026, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Gary Biglaiser, 1993. "Middlemen as Experts," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(2), pages 212-223, Summer.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itshoki & Stephen Redding, 2009.
"Inequality and unemployment in a global economy,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
25501, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itskhoki & Stephen Redding, 2008. "Inequality and Unemployment in a Global Economy," NBER Working Papers 14478, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itskhoki & Stephen Redding, 2009. "Inequality and Unemployment in a Global Economy," CEP Discussion Papers dp0940, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Helpman, Elhanan & Itskhoki, Oleg & Redding, Stephen J., 2009. "Inequality and Unemployment in a Global Economy," CEPR Discussion Papers 7353, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chau, Nancy & Goto, Hideaki & Kanbur, Ravi, 2009.
"Middlemen, Non-Profits, and Poverty,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4406, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chau, Nancy H & Goto, Hideaki & Kanbur, Ravi, 2009. "Middlemen, Non-Profits and Poverty," CEPR Discussion Papers 7459, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Chau, Nancy H. & Goto, Hideaki & Kanbur, Ravi, 2009. "Middlemen, Non-Profits, and Poverty," Working Papers 55931, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Hill, 2005.
"Price Transmission and Trader Entry in Domestic Commodity Markets,"
Economics Series Working Papers
GPRG-WPS-038, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Vargas Hill, 2008. "Price Transmission and Trader Entry in Domestic Commodity Markets," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 729-766.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521576475 is not listed on IDEAS
- Carsten Eckel, 2009.
"International Trade and Retailing,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2597, CESifo Group Munich.
- Kunal Dasgupta & Jordi Mondria, 2012. "Quality Uncertainty and Intermediation in International Trade," Working Papers tecipa-462, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Morisset, Jacques, 1998. "Unfair Trade? The Increasing Gap between World and Domestic Prices in Commodity Markets during the Past 25 Years," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 12(3), pages 503-26, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:qjecon:v:126:y:2011:i:3:p:1319-1374. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.