This paper develops a simple model of international trade with intermediation. We consider an economy with two islands and two types of agents, farmers and traders. Farmers can produce two goods, but in order to sell these goods in centralized (Walrasian) markets, they need to be matched with a trader, and this entails costly search. In the absence of search frictions, our model reduces to a standard Ricardian model of trade. We use this simple model to contrast the implications of changes in the integration of Walrasian markets, which allow traders from different islands to exchange their goods, and changes in the access to these Walrasian markets, which allow farmers to trade with traders from different islands. We find that intermediation always magnifies the gains from trade under the former type of integration, but leads to more nuanced welfare results under the latter, including the possibility of aggregate losses.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Quarterly Journal of Economics|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.economics.harvard.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Helpman, Elhanan & Itskhoki, Oleg & Redding, Stephen J., 2009.
"Inequality and Unemployment in a Global Economy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7353, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itskhoki & Stephen Redding, 2009. "Inequality and Unemployment in a Global Economy," CEP Discussion Papers dp0940, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itshoki & Stephen Redding, 2009. "Inequality and unemployment in a global economy," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25501, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Elhanan Helpman & Oleg Itskhoki & Stephen Redding, 2008. "Inequality and Unemployment in a Global Economy," NBER Working Papers 14478, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eckel, Carsten, 2009.
"International trade and retailing,"
BERG Working Paper Series
63, Bamberg University, Bamberg Economic Research Group.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Vargas Hill, 2005.
"Selling at the Farmgate or Traveling to Market,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(3), pages 717-734.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Hill, 2004. "Selling at the Farm-Gate or Travelling to Market," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2004-30, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Vargas Hill, 2004. "Selling at the farm-gate or travelling to market," CSAE Working Paper Series 2004-30, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Chau, Nancy & Goto, Hideaki & Kanbur, Ravi, 2009.
"Middlemen, Non-Profits, and Poverty,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4406, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chau, Nancy H. & Goto, Hideaki & Kanbur, Ravi, 2009. "Middlemen, Non-Profits, and Poverty," Working Papers 55931, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Chau, Nancy H & Goto, Hideaki & Kanbur, Ravi, 2009. "Middlemen, Non-Profits and Poverty," CEPR Discussion Papers 7459, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Costinot, Arnaud & Antras, Pol, 2010.
"Intermediation and Economic Integration,"
4784026, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Gary Biglaiser, 1993. "Middlemen as Experts," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(2), pages 212-223, Summer.
- Davidson, Carl & Martin, Lawrence & Matusz, Steven, 1999. "Trade and search generated unemployment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 271-299, August.
- Kunal Dasgupta & Jordi Mondria, 2012. "Quality Uncertainty and Intermediation in International Trade," Working Papers tecipa-462, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Vargas Hill, 2008.
"Price Transmission and Trader Entry in Domestic Commodity Markets,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 56, pages 729-766.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Hill, 2005. "Price Transmission and Trader Entry in Domestic Commodity Markets," Economics Series Working Papers GPRG-WPS-038, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Carl & Martin, Lawrence & Matusz, Steven, 1988. "The Structure of Simple General Equilibrium Models with Frictional Unemployment," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(6), pages 1267-93, December.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521576475 is not listed on IDEAS
- Morisset, Jacques, 1998. "Unfair Trade? The Increasing Gap between World and Domestic Prices in Commodity Markets during the Past 25 Years," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 12(3), pages 503-26, September.
- Costinot, Arnaud, 2008.
"Jobs, Jobs, Jobs: A "New" Perspective on Protectionism,"
University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series
qt1cp9749b, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Arnaud Costinot, 2009. "Jobs, Jobs, Jobs: A "New" Perspective on Protectionism," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 7(5), pages 1011-1041, 09.
- Hummels, David & Lugovskyy, Volodymyr & Skiba, Alexandre, 2009.
"The trade reducing effects of market power in international shipping,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 84-97, May.
- David Hummels & Volodymyr Lugovskyy & Alexandre Skiba, 2007. "The Trade Reducing Effects of Market Power in International Shipping," NBER Working Papers 12914, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Akerman, Anders, 2010. "A Theory on the Role of Wholesalers in International Trade based on Economies of Scope," Research Papers in Economics 2010:1, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hrv:faseco:4784024. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ben Steinberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.