Will China's WTO Accession Worsen Rural Poverty?
Many fear China’s accession to WTO will impoverish its farmers, via greater import competition in its agricultural markets. We explore that possibility bearing in mind that, even if producer prices of some (land-intensive) farm products fall, prices of other (labour-intensive) farm and non-farm products could rise. New estimates, from the global, economy-wide numerical simulation model known as GTAP, of the likely changes in agricultural and other product prices as a result of WTO accession are drawn on to examine empirically the real income implications of China’s WTO accession. The results suggest farm/non-farm income inequality may well rise within China but rural-urban income inequality need not. The Paper concludes with some policy suggestions for alleviating any pockets of farm household poverty that may emerge as a result of WTO accession.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- IANCHOVICHINA Elena & WALMSLEY Terrie, .
"Impact of China’s WTO Accession on East Asia,"
- Fan, Shenggen & Fang, Cheng & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2001.
"How agricultural research affects urban poverty in developing countries: the case of China,"
EPTD discussion papers
83, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Fan, Shenggen & Fang, Cheng & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2001. "How Agricultural Research Affects Urban Poverty In Developing Countries? The Case Of China," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20636, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Hertel, Thomas, 1997. "Global Trade Analysis: Modeling and applications," GTAP Books, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University, number 7685, April.
- Shaohua Chen & Martin Ravallion, 2004. "Welfare Impacts of China's Accession to the World Trade Organization," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 18(1), pages 29-57.
- Hazell, P. B. R. & Haddad, Lawrence James, 2001.
"Agricultural research and poverty reduction:,"
2020 vision discussion papers
34, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Joseph F. Francois & Dean Spinanger, 2004.
"Regulated Efficiency, World Trade Organization Accession, and the Motor Vehicle Sector in China,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
04-049/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Joseph F. Francois & Dean Spinanger, 2004. "Regulated Efficiency, World Trade Organization Accession, and the Motor Vehicle Sector in China," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 18(1), pages 85-104.
- Francois, Joseph & Spinanger, Dean, 2004. "Regulated Efficiency, World Trade Organization Accession and the Motor Vehicle Sector in China," CEPR Discussion Papers 4439, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott & Martin, William J. & Liu, Yu, 2007. "Distortions to Agricultural Incentives in China," Agricultural Distortions Working Paper 48478, World Bank.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & Walmsley, Terrie, 2003.
"The impact of China's WTO accession on East Asia,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3109, The World Bank.
- Kym Anderson & Lee Ann Jacskon, 2004.
"Standards, trade and protection: the case of GMOs,"
Centre for International Economic Studies Working Papers
2004-11, University of Adelaide, Centre for International Economic Studies.
- Terry Sicular & Yaohui Zhao, 2002. "Earnings and Labor Mobility in Rural China: Implications for China's WTO Entry," University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute Working Papers 20028, University of Western Ontario, Economic Policy Research Institute.
- Scott Rozelle & Liniux Zhang & Jikun Huang, .
"Employment, Emerging Labor Markets, and the Role of Education in Rural China,"
22568, Rural Education Action Project at Stanford University.
- Zhang, Linxiu & Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott, 2002. "Employment, emerging labor markets, and the role of education in rural China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(2-3), pages 313-328.
- Zhang, Linxiu & Huang, Jikun & Rozelle, Scott, 2002. "Employment, Emerging Labor Markets, And The Role Of Education In Rural China," Working Papers 11969, University of California, Davis, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics.
- Sicular, Terry, 1988. "Plan and Market in China's Agricultural Commerce," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(2), pages 283-307, April.
- Yaohui Zhao, 1999. "Leaving the Countryside: Rural-to-Urban Migration Decisions in China," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 281-286, May.
- John Gilbert & Thomas Wahl, 2002. "Applied General Equilibrium Assessments of Trade Libereralisation in China," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(5), pages 697-731, 05.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & Martin, William, 2003.
"Economic impacts of China's accession to the World Trade Organization,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3053, The World Bank.
- Elena Ianchovichina & Will Martin, 2004. "Impacts of China's Accession to the World Trade Organization," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 18(1), pages 3-27.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2001.
"Fifty Years Of Regional Inequality In China: A Journey Through Revolution, Reform And Openness,"
7236, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2001. "Fifty Years of Regional Inequality in China: A Journey through Revolution, Reform and Openness," CEPR Discussion Papers 2887, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Anderson, Kym, 1995.
"Lobbying Incentives and the Pattern of Protection in Rich and Poor Countries,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 401-23, January.
- Anderson, Kym, 1993. "Lobbying Incentives and the Pattern of Protection in Rich and Poor Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 789, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Scott Rozelle & Albert Park & Jikun Huang & Hehui Jin, 1997. "Liberalization and Rural Market Integration in China," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(2), pages 635-642.
- Schultz, Theodore W, 1975. "The Value of the Ability to Deal with Disequilibria," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 13(3), pages 827-46, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:4196. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.