Informational Cascades and Decision to Migrate
We introduce the idea that informational cascades can explain the observed regularity that emigrants from the same locations also tend to choose the same foreign locations. Thus informational cascades generates herd behaviour. Herd behaviour is compared with the network externalities explanation of the same phenomenon. The relation between social tensions and herd behaviour is observed when local populations are xenophobic.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giuseppe Bertola & Stefan Hochguertel & Winfried Koeniger, 2005.
"Dealer Pricing Of Consumer Credit ,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1103-1142, November.
- Bertola, Giuseppe & Stefan Hochguertel & Winfried Koeniger (YE), 2002. "Dealer Pricing of Consumer Credit," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 24, Royal Economic Society.
- Bertola, Giuseppe & Hochguertel, Stefan & Koeniger, Winfried, 2002. "Dealer Pricing of Consumer Credit," IZA Discussion Papers 440, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bertola, Giuseppe & Hochguertel, Stefan & Koeniger, Winfried, 2002. "Dealer Pricing of Consumer Credit," CEPR Discussion Papers 3160, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Adriana D. Kugler, 2001.
"Protective or counter-productive? Labor market institutions and the effect of immigration on EU natives,"
Economics Working Papers
587, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Adriana D. Kugler, 2003. "Protective or counter-productive? labour market institutions and the effect of immigration on eu natives," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(488), pages F302-F331, 06.
- King, Stephen P., 1995. "Search with free-riders," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 253-271, March.
- Sushil Bikhchandani & David Hirshleifer & Ivo Welch, 2010.
"A theory of Fads, Fashion, Custom and cultural change as informational Cascades,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1193, David K. Levine.
- Bikhchandani, Sushil & Hirshleifer, David & Welch, Ivo, 1992. "A Theory of Fads, Fashion, Custom, and Cultural Change in Informational Cascades," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 992-1026, October.
- Giulio Fella & Paola Manzini & Marco Mariotti, 2002.
"Does Divorce Law Matter?,"
454, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Sibley, Christopher W. & Walsh, Patrick Paul, 2002. "Earnings Inequality and Transition: A Regional Analysis of Poland," IZA Discussion Papers 441, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Carrington, William J & Detragiache, Enrica & Vishwanath, Tara, 1996. "Migration with Endogenous Moving Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 909-30, September.
- Jeffrey Church & Ian King, 1993. "Bilingualism and Network Externalities," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(2), pages 337-45, May.
- Scharfstein, David S & Stein, Jeremy C, 1990.
"Herd Behavior and Investment,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 465-79, June.
- Epstein, Gil S & Ward-Warmedinger, Melanie, 2002.
"Perceived Income, Promotion and Incentives Effects,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3217, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Banerjee, Abhijit V, 1992. "A Simple Model of Herd Behavior," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(3), pages 797-817, August.
- Fertig, Michael & Schmidt, Christoph M, 2002.
"The Perception of Foreigners and Jews in Germany - A Structural Analysis of a Large Opinion Survey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3222, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fertig, Michael & Schmidt, Christoph M., 2002. "The Perception of Foreigners and Jews in Germany - A Structural Analysis of a Large Opinion Survey," IZA Discussion Papers 431, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Elise S. Brezis & Paul Krugman, 1993.
"Immigration, Investment and Real Wages,"
NBER Working Papers
4563, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chiswick, Barry R & Miller, Paul M, 1996. "Ethnic Networks and Language Proficiency among Immigrants," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 19-35, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:3287. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.