Informational Cascades and Decision to Migrate
We introduce the idea that informational cascades can explain the observed regularity that emigrants from the same locations also tend to choose the same foreign locations. Thus informational cascades generates herd behaviour. Herd behaviour is compared with the network externalities explanation of the same phenomenon. The relation between social tensions and herd behaviour is observed when local populations are xenophobic.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2002|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fertig, Michael & Schmidt, Christoph M, 2002.
"The Perception of Foreigners and Jews in Germany - A Structural Analysis of a Large Opinion Survey,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3222, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fertig, Michael & Schmidt, Christoph M., 2002. "The Perception of Foreigners and Jews in Germany - A Structural Analysis of a Large Opinion Survey," IZA Discussion Papers 431, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Elise Brezis & Paul Krugman, 1996. "Immigration, investment, and real wages," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 9(1), pages 83-93, February.
- Sibley, Christopher W. & Walsh, Patrick Paul, 2002. "Earnings Inequality and Transition: A Regional Analysis of Poland," IZA Discussion Papers 441, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Giuseppe Bertola & Stefan Hochguertel & Winfried Koeniger, 2005.
"Dealer Pricing Of Consumer Credit ,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(4), pages 1103-1142, November.
- Bertola, Giuseppe & Stefan Hochguertel & Winfried Koeniger (YE), 2002. "Dealer Pricing of Consumer Credit," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 24, Royal Economic Society.
- Bertola, Giuseppe & Hochguertel, Stefan & Koeniger, Winfried, 2002. "Dealer Pricing of Consumer Credit," CEPR Discussion Papers 3160, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bertola, Giuseppe & Hochguertel, Stefan & Koeniger, Winfried, 2002. "Dealer Pricing of Consumer Credit," IZA Discussion Papers 440, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Giulio Fella & Paola Manzini & Marco Mariotti, 2004.
"Does Divorce Law Matter?,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 2(4), pages 607-633, June.
- Giulio Fella & Paola Manzini & Marco Mariotti, 2002. "Does Divorce Law Matter?," Working Papers 454, Queen Mary University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Fella, Giulio & Manzini, Paola & Mariotti, Marco, 2002. "Does Divorce Law Matter?," IZA Discussion Papers 439, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Chiswick, Barry R & Miller, Paul M, 1996. "Ethnic Networks and Language Proficiency among Immigrants," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 9(1), pages 19-35, February.
- Jeffrey Church & Ian King, 1993. "Bilingualism and Network Externalities," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 26(2), pages 337-345, May.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Adriana D. Kugler, 2003.
"Protective or counter-productive? labour market institutions and the effect of immigration on eu natives,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 113(488), pages 302-331, June.
- Joshua D. Angrist & Adriana D. Kugler, 2001. "Protective or counter-productive? Labor market institutions and the effect of immigration on EU natives," Economics Working Papers 587, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Epstein, Gil S & Ward-Warmedinger, Melanie, 2002. "Perceived Income, Promotion and Incentives Effects," CEPR Discussion Papers 3217, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Scharfstein, David S & Stein, Jeremy C, 1990. "Herd Behavior and Investment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(3), pages 465-479, June.
- Carrington, William J & Detragiache, Enrica & Vishwanath, Tara, 1996. "Migration with Endogenous Moving Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 909-930, September.
- Bikhchandani, Sushil & Hirshleifer, David & Welch, Ivo, 1992.
"A Theory of Fads, Fashion, Custom, and Cultural Change in Informational Cascades,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 992-1026, October.
- Sushil Bikhchandani & David Hirshleifer & Ivo Welch, 2010. "A theory of Fads, Fashion, Custom and cultural change as informational Cascades," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1193, David K. Levine.
- King, Stephen P., 1995. "Search with free-riders," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 253-271, March.
- Abhijit V. Banerjee, 1992. "A Simple Model of Herd Behavior," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(3), pages 797-817.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:3287. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.