What Sways the Decision to Migrate? An Empirical Analysis of the Argentinean Case
Labour mobility among different regions within a country is known as one of the mechanisms that can contribute to the adjustment of regional labour markets. This will only occur on the condition that the individual’s responses to labour earnings differentials are sensitive enough. This paper provides with empirical evidence for Argentina concerning the analysis of the individual’s decision to migrate, and in particular, the response of the individuals to regional wage differentials, based on individual data. A random effects logit for panel data models the migration decision. The real expected income was found to signigficantly influence the probability of migrating.
Volume (Year): XLVI (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 54 0351 4437300 int 253
Fax: 54 351 433 4436
Web page: http://ief.eco.unc.edu.ar/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cristina Cattaneo, 2006.
"The Determinants of Actual Migration and the Role of Wages and Unemployment in Albania: an Empirical Analysis,"
LIUC Papers in Economics
196, Cattaneo University (LIUC).
- Cristina Cattaneo, 2008. "The Determinants of Actual Migration and the Role of Wages and Unemployment in Albania: an Empirical Analysis," European Journal of Comparative Economics, Cattaneo University (LIUC), vol. 5(1), pages 3-32, June.
- Cristina CATTANEO, . "The Determinants of Actual Migration and the Role of Wages and Unemployment in Albania: an Empirical Analysis," EcoMod2004 330600036, EcoMod.
- Bartel, Ann P, 1979. "The Migration Decision: What Role Does Job Mobility Play?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(5), pages 775-86, December.
- George J. Borjas, 1994. "The Economics of Immigration," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1667-1717, December.
- Michael C. Burda & Jennifer Hunt, 2001. "From Reunification to Economic Integration: Productivity and the Labor Market in Eastern Germany," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 32(2), pages 1-92.
- Jörg Decressin, 1994. "Internal migration in West Germany and implications for East-West salary convergence," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(2), pages 231-257, June.
- Hazans, Mihails, 2003.
"Determinants of inter-regional migration in the Baltic countries,"
ZEI Working Papers
B 17-2003, ZEI - Center for European Integration Studies, University of Bonn.
- Mihails Hazans, 2003. "Determinants of Inter-Regional Migration in the Baltic Countries," ERSA conference papers ersa03p354, European Regional Science Association.
- Daveri, F & Faini, R, 1996.
"Where Do Migrants Go? Risk-Aversion, Mobility Costs and the Locational Choice of Migrants,"
290, Banca Italia - Servizio di Studi.
- Daveri, Francesco & Faini, Riccardo, 1996. "Where do Migrants Go? Risk-Aversion, Mobility Costs and the Locational Choice of Migrants," CEPR Discussion Papers 1540, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Epstein, Gil S, 2002.
"Informational Cascades and Decision to Migrate,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3287, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pissarides, Christopher A & Wadsworth, Jonathan, 1989. "Unemployment and the Inter-regional Mobility of Labour," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(397), pages 739-55, September.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1981. "Qualitative Response Models: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 19(4), pages 1483-1536, December.
- Greenwood, Michael J., 1993. "Internal migration in developed countries," Handbook of Population and Family Economics, in: M. R. Rosenzweig & Stark, O. (ed.), Handbook of Population and Family Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 12, pages 647-720 Elsevier.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ief:reveye:v:46:y:2008:i:1:p:7-30. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcelo Coser)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.