Firm Size And Wages In Italy: Evidence From Exogenous Job Displacements
We use longitudinal data based on administrative archives from 1985 to 2002 to estimate the relationship between wages and firm size for Italy. Controlling for individual fixed effects we find that larger firms pay significantly higher wages, although the individual unmeasured ability component accounts for about one half of the uncovered size-wage premium. To reduce potential self-selection problems arising from endogenous job changes, we focus on a sample of workers displaced by plant closings. Using this sample, we confirm that larger firms pay higher wages in part for unmeasured workers’ abilities and in part for true size effects.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +39 0984 492413
Fax: +39 0984 492421
Web page: http://www.unical.it/portale/strutture/dipartimenti_240/disesf/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ponzo, Michela, 2009.
"On-the-job Search in Italian Labour Markets: An Empirical Analysis,"
15476, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michela Ponzo, 2012. "On-the-job Search in Italian Labor Markets: An Empirical Analysis," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 213-232, July.
- Ponzo, Michela, 2010. "On-the-job search in Italian labour markets: an empirical analysis," MPRA Paper 25485, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrew K.G. Hildreth and Andrew J. Oswald, .
"Rent-Sharing and Wages: Evidence from Company and Establishment Panels,"
Economics Discussion Papers
425, University of Essex, Department of Economics.
- Hildreth, Andrew K G & Oswald, Andrew J, 1997. "Rent-Sharing and Wages: Evidence from Company and Establishment Panels," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(2), pages 318-37, April.
- Hilderth, A.K. & Oswald, A.J., 1993. "Rent-Sharing and Wages: Evidence form Company and Establishment Panels," Economics Series Working Papers 99154, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Roberto Pedace, 2010. "Firm Size-Wage Premiums: Using Employer Data to Unravel the Mystery," Journal of Economic Issues, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 44(1), pages 163-182, March.
- Giovanni Sulis, 2011.
"What can monopsony explain of the gender wage differential in Italy?,"
International Journal of Manpower,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 32(4), pages 446-470, July.
- G. Sulis, 2007. "What Can Monopsony Explain of the Gender Wage Differential in Italy?," Working Paper CRENoS 200713, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Rudolf Winter-Ebmer & Josef Zweimueller, .
"Firm Size Wage Differentials in Switzerland: Evidence from Job Changers,"
IEW - Working Papers
001, Institute for Empirical Research in Economics - University of Zurich.
- Josef Zweimuller & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer, 1999. "Firm-Size Wage Differentials in Switzerland: Evidence from Job-Changers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 89-93, May.
- John Gibson & Steven Stillman, 2009. "Why Do Big Firms Pay Higher Wages? Evidence from an International Database," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 91(1), pages 213-218, February.
- Thierry Lallemand & Robert Plasman & François Rycx, 2005.
"The establishment-size wage premium: evidence from European countries,"
DULBEA Working Papers
05-07.RS, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Thierry Lallemand & Robert Plasman & FranÃ§ois Rycx, 2007. "The establishment-size wage premium: evidence from European countries," Empirica, Springer, vol. 34(5), pages 427-451, December.
- Thierry Lallemand & Robert Plasman & François Rycx, 2007. "The establishment-size wage premium: evidence from European countries," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8735, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Lallemand, Thierry & Plasman, Robert & Rycx, Francois, 2005. "The Establishment-Size Wage Premium: Evidence from European Countries," IZA Discussion Papers 1569, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arai, Mahmood, 1999.
"Wages, Profits and Capital Intensity: Evidence from Matched Worker-Firm Data,"
Research Papers in Economics
1999:3, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Mahmood Arai, 2003. "Wages, Profits, and Capital Intensity: Evidence from Matched Worker-Firm Data," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 21(3), pages 593-618, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:clb:wpaper:201201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giovanni Dodero)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.