House Price Dynamics: Fundamentals and Expectations
We investigate whether expectations that are not fully rational have the potential to explain the evolution of house prices and the price-to-rent ratio in the United States. First,a Lucas type asset-pricing model solved under rational expectations is used to derive a fundamental value for house prices and the price-rent ratio. Although the model can explain the sample average of the price-rent ratio, it does not generate the volatility and persistence observed in the data. Then, we consider an intrinsic bubble model and two models of extrapolative expectations developed by Lansing (2006, 2010) in applications to stock prices: one that features a constant extrapolation parameter and one in which the extrapolation coefficient depends on the dividend growth process. We show that these last two models are equally good at matching sample moments of the data. However, a counterfactual experiment shows that only the extrapolative expectation model with timevarying extrapolation coefficient is consistent with the run up in house prices observed over the 2000-2006 period and the subsequent sharp downturn.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 613 782-8845
Fax: 613 782-8874
Web page: http://www.bank-banque-canada.ca/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andreas Fuster & Benjamin Hebert & David Laibson, 2012.
"Natural Expectations, Macroeconomic Dynamics, and Asset Pricing,"
NBER Macroeconomics Annual,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(1), pages 1 - 48.
- Andreas Fuster & Benjamin Hebert & David Laibson, 2011. "Natural Expectations, Macroeconomic Dynamics, and Asset Pricing," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 2011, Volume 26, pages 1-48 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fuster, Andreas & Herbert, Benjamin & Laibson, David I., 2011. "Natural Expectations, Macroeconomic Dynamics, and Asset Pricing," Scholarly Articles 10140029, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Andreas Fuster & Benjamin Hebert & David Laibson, 2011. "Natural Expectations, Macroeconomic Dynamics, and Asset Pricing," NBER Working Papers 17301, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Klaus Adam & Pei Kuang & Albert Marcet, 2012.
"House Price Booms and the Current Account,"
NBER Macroeconomics Annual,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(1), pages 77 - 122.
- Klaus Adam & Pei Kuang & Albert Marcet, 2011. "House Price Booms and the Current Account," CEP Discussion Papers dp1064, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Klaus Adam & Pei Kuang & Albert Marcet, 2011. "House Price Booms and the Current Account," NBER Working Papers 17224, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Morris A. Davis & Robert F. Martin, 2005. "Housing, house prices, and the equity premium puzzle," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2005-13, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Christian Hott, 2007.
"Explaining house price fluctuations,"
1055, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Brumm, Johannes & Grill, Michael & Kubler, Felix & Schmedders, Karl, 2013.
"Collateral requirements and asset prices,"
44/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Michael Grill & Karl Schmedders & Felix Kubler & Johannes Brumm, 2011. "Collateral Requirements and Asset Prices," 2011 Meeting Papers 737, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Johannes Brumm & Michael GRILL & Felix KUBLER & Karl SCHMEDDERS, . "Collateral Requirements and Asset Prices," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 11-10, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Hey, John D., 1994. "Expectations formation: Rational or adaptive or ...?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 329-349, December.
- Glaeser, Edward L. & Gyourko, Joseph & Saiz, Albert, 2008.
"Housing supply and housing bubbles,"
Journal of Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 198-217, September.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Joseph Gyourko & Albert Saiz, 2008. "Housing Supply and Housing Bubbles," NBER Working Papers 14193, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Glaeser, Edward & Saiz, Albert & Gyourko, Joseph, 2008. "Housing Supply and Housing Bubbles," Scholarly Articles 2962640, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Brian Petereson, 2009. "Fooled by Search: Housing Prices, Turnover and Bubbles," Caepr Working Papers 2009-004, Center for Applied Economics and Policy Research, Economics Department, Indiana University Bloomington.
- De Bondt, Werner P. M., 1993. "Betting on trends: Intuitive forecasts of financial risk and return," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 355-371, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bca:bocawp:12-12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.