Collateral Requirements and Asset Prices
In this paper we examine the effect of collateral requirements on the prices of long- lived assets. We consider a Lucas-style infinite-horizon exchange economy with heteroge- nous agents and collateral constraints. There are two trees in the economy which can be used as collateral for short-term loans. For the first tree the collateral requirement is determined endogenously while the collateral requirement for loans on the second tree are exogenously regulated. We show that the presence of collateral constraints and the endogenous margin requirements for the first tree lead to large excess price-volatility of the second tree. Changes in the regulated margin requirements for the second tree have large effects on the volatility of both trees. While tightening margins for loans on the second tree always decreases the price volatility of the first tree, price volatility of the second tree might very well increase with this change. In our calibration we allow for the possibility of disaster states. This leads to very large quantitative effects of collateral requirements and to realistic equity risk premia. We show that our qualitative results are robust to the actual parametrization of the economy.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brunnermeier, Markus K & Pedersen, Lasse Heje, 2007.
"Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6179, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," NBER Working Papers 12939, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Markus K. Brunnermeier & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2007. "Market liquidity and funding liquidity," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24478, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Lasse Heje Pederson & Markus K Brunnermeier, 2007. "Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity," FMG Discussion Papers dp580, Financial Markets Group.
- Robert J. Barro, 2009.
"Rare Disasters, Asset Prices, and Welfare Costs,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 99(1), pages 243-64, March.
- Detemple, Jerome & Murthy, Shashidhar, 1997. "Equilibrium Asset Prices and No-Arbitrage with Portfolio Constraints," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 10(4), pages 1133-74.
- Daniele Coen-Pirani, 2000.
"Margin Requirements and Equilibrium Asset Prices,"
GSIA Working Papers
2001-E5, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Mark Gertler, 1998.
""Overreaction" of Asset Prices in General Equilibrium,"
NBER Working Papers
6747, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S. Rao Aiyagari & Mark Gertler, 1999. ""Overreaction" of Asset Prices in General Equilibrium," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 2(1), pages 3-35, January.
- Aiyagari, S.R. & Gertler, M., 1998. ""Overreaction" of Asset Prices in General Equilibrium," Working Papers 98-25, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Lettau, Martin & Uhlig, Harald, 2002.
"The Sharpe Ratio And Preferences: A Parametric Approach,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(02), pages 242-265, April.
- Lettau, Martin & Uhlig, Harald, 2001. "The Sharpe Ratio And Preferences: A Parametric Approach," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 5(04), pages 1-24, September.
- Nicolae G�rleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2011.
"Margin-based Asset Pricing and Deviations from the Law of One Price,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 24(6), pages 1980-2022.
- Nicolae Gârleanu & Lasse Heje Pedersen, 2011. "Margin-Based Asset Pricing and Deviations from the Law of One Price," NBER Working Papers 16777, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Denis Gromb & Dimitri Vayanos, 2002.
"Equilibrium and welfare in markets with financially constrained arbitrageurs,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
448, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gromb, Denis & Vayanos, Dimitri, 2002. "Equilibrium and welfare in markets with financially constrained arbitrageurs," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 66(2-3), pages 361-407.
- Gromb, Denis & Vayanos, Dimitri, 2001. "Equilibrium and Welfare in Markets with Financially Constrained Arbitrageurs," CEPR Discussion Papers 3049, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karl Schmedders, Felix Kubler, 2001. "Asset Pricing in Models with incomplete markets and default," Computing in Economics and Finance 2001 58, Society for Computational Economics.
- Giglio, Stefano & Pathak, Parag & Campbell, John Y., 2011.
"Forced Sales and House Prices,"
9887623, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- repec:fth:starer:98-25 is not listed on IDEAS
- Epstein, Larry G & Zin, Stanley E, 1989. "Substitution, Risk Aversion, and the Temporal Behavior of Consumption and Asset Returns: A Theoretical Framework," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 937-69, July.
- repec:fth:starer:9825 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:red:sed011:737. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.