Bubbles and Constraints on Debt Accumulation
It is commonly thought (Tirole, Econometrica50 (1982), 1163–1182) that bubbles cannot occur in deterministic sequential market economies with a finite number of infinitely lived agents. This paper shows that the constraint on debt accumulation which make possible the existence of equilibrium can cause bubbles. If agents face a wealth constraint, bubbles can exist if and only if the assest is in zero net supply. If agents face exogenous short sales constraints, bubbles can exists if and only if some agent's endowment grows at a rate larger than the rate of return and the short sales constraint binds that agent infinitely often.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
|Date of creation:||1990|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of Iowa, Department of Economics, Henry B. Tippie College of Business, Iowa City, Iowa 52242|
Phone: (319) 335-0829
Fax: (319) 335-1956
Web page: http://tippie.uiowa.edu/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shell, Karl, 1971. "Notes on the Economics of Infinity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(5), pages 1002-11, Sept.-Oct.
- repec:cdl:ucsbec:29-89 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tirole, Jean, 1982. "On the Possibility of Speculation under Rational Expectations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(5), pages 1163-81, September.
- Kocherlakota, N.R., 1990.
"Bubbles and Constraints on Debt Accumulation,"
90-29, University of Iowa, Department of Economics.
- Woodford, Michael, 1986. "Stationary sunspot equilibria in a finance constrained economy," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 128-137, October.
- Tirole, Jean, 1985. "Asset Bubbles and Overlapping Generations," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1499-1528, November.
- Scheinkman, Jose A & Weiss, Laurence, 1986. "Borrowing Constraints and Aggregate Economic Activity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(1), pages 23-45, January.
- Weil, Philippe, 1989. "Overlapping families of infinitely-lived agents," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 183-198, March.
- Wright, Randall D., 1987. "Market structure and competitive equilibrium in dynamic economic models," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 189-201, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uia:iowaec:90-29. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John Solow)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.