Margin requirements, margin loans, and margin rates: practice and principles
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Peter Fortune, 1995. "Stocks, bonds, options, futures, and portfolio insurance: a rose by any other name," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Jul, pages 25-46.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Why Margin Requirements Made Sense in 1934
by Mike Guttentag in The conglomerate on 2008-10-31 03:06:19
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- D. Matsypura & V.G. Timkovsky, 2013. "Integer programs for margining option portfolios by option spreads with more than four legs," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 51-76, February.
- Alex Garivaltis, 2019.
"The Laws of Motion of the Broker Call Rate in the United States,"
IJFS, MDPI, vol. 7(4), pages 1-23, October.
- Alex Garivaltis, 2019. "The Laws of Motion of the Broker Call Rate in the United States," Papers 1906.00946, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2022.
- Chris Florackis & Alexandros Kontonikas & Alexandros Kostakis, 2010. "Transmission of macro-liquidity shocks to liquidity-sorted stock portfolios’ returns: The role of the financial crisis," Working Papers 2011_22, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow, revised Apr 2011.
- Ron Kaniel & Stathis Tompaidis & Ti Zhou, 2019. "Impact of Managerial Commitment on Risk Taking with Dynamic Fund Flows," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 65(7), pages 3174-3195, July.
- Wu, Wei-Hwa, 2021. "Extendible stock loan," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 58(C).
- Bernard McSherry & Berry K. Wilson, 2020. "Margin practices and requirements during the National Banking Era: An early example of macro‐prudential regulation," Review of Financial Economics, John Wiley & Sons, vol. 38(S1), pages 210-225, March.
- Poledna, Sebastian & Thurner, Stefan & Farmer, J. Doyne & Geanakoplos, John, 2014.
"Leverage-induced systemic risk under Basle II and other credit risk policies,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 199-212.
- Sebastian Poledna & Stefan Thurner & J. Doyne Farmer & John Geanakoplos, 2013. "Leverage-induced systemic risk under Basle II and other credit risk policies," Papers 1301.6114, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2014.
- Johannes Brumm & Michael Grill & Felix Kubler & Karl Schmedders, 2015.
"Collateral Requirements And Asset Prices,"
International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 56(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Michael Grill & Karl Schmedders & Felix Kubler & Johannes Brumm, 2011. "Collateral Requirements and Asset Prices," 2011 Meeting Papers 737, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Johannes Brumm & Michael GRILL & Felix KUBLER & Karl SCHMEDDERS, 2011. "Collateral Requirements and Asset Prices," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 11-10, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Brumm, Johannes & Grill, Michael & Kubler, Felix & Schmedders, Karl, 2013. "Collateral requirements and asset prices," Discussion Papers 44/2013, Deutsche Bundesbank.
- Guanghui Huang & Weiqing Gu & Wenting Xing & Hongyu Li, 2012. "Active margin system for margin loans using cash and stock as collateral and its application in Chinese market," Papers 1202.5180, arXiv.org.
- Matsypura, Dmytro & Pauwels, Laurent L., 2016. "Does portfolio margining make borrowing more attractive?," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 128-134.
- Brumm, Johannes & Grill, Michael & Kubler, Felix & Schmedders, Karl, 2015.
"Margin regulation and volatility,"
Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(C), pages 54-68.
- Johannes Brumm & Michael Grill & Felix Kubler & Karl Schmedders, 2013. "Margin Regulation and Volatility," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 13-59, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Brumm, Johannes & Kubler, Felix & Grill, Michael & Schmedders, Karl, 2014. "Margin regulation and volatility," Working Paper Series 1698, European Central Bank.
- Kaniel, Ron & tompaidis, stathis & Zhou, Ti, 2017. "Impact of Managerial Commitment on Risk Taking with Dynamic Fund Flows," CEPR Discussion Papers 12285, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Guanghui Huang & Wenting Xin & Weiqing Gu, 2012. "Active margin system for margin loans and its application in Chinese market: using cash and randomly selected stock as collateral," Papers 1202.4913, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2012.
- Florackis, Chris & Kontonikas, Alexandros & Kostakis, Alexandros, 2014.
"Stock market liquidity and macro-liquidity shocks: Evidence from the 2007–2009 financial crisis,"
Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 97-117.
- Chris Florackis & Alexandros Kontonikas & Alexandros Kostakis, "undated". "Stock market liquidity and macro-liquidity shocks: Evidence from the 2007-2009 financial crisis," Working Papers 2013_13, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Florackis, Chris & Kontonikas, Alexandros & Kostakis, Alexandros, 2013. "Stock Market Liquidity and Macro-Liquidity Shocks: Evidence from the 2007-2009 Financial Crisis," SIRE Discussion Papers 2013-58, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Eric Tymoigne, 2006. "Asset Prices, Financial Fragility, and Central Banking," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_456, Levy Economics Institute.
- Gallmeyer, Michael F. & Kaniel, Ron & Tompaidis, Stathis, 2006. "Tax management strategies with multiple risky assets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 243-291, May.
- Garivaltis, Alex, 2019.
"Two resolutions of the margin loan pricing puzzle,"
Research in Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 199-207.
- Alex Garivaltis, 2019. "Two Resolutions of the Margin Loan Pricing Puzzle," Papers 1906.01025, arXiv.org, revised Oct 2022.
- Roche, Hervé & Tompaidis, Stathis & Yang, Chunyu, 2013. "Why does junior put all his eggs in one basket? A potential rational explanation for holding concentrated portfolios," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 109(3), pages 775-796.
- Florackis, Chris & Kostakis, Alexandros & Kontonikas, Alexandros, 2011. "Transmission of macro-liquidity shocks to liquidity-sorted stock portfoliosâ€™ returns: The role of the financial crisis," SIRE Discussion Papers 2011-31, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Bruce I. Jacobs & Kenneth N. Levy & Harry M. Markowitz, 2005. "Portfolio Optimization with Factors, Scenarios, and Realistic Short Positions," Operations Research, INFORMS, vol. 53(4), pages 586-599, August.
- Jose Ramón Martínez Resano & Liliana Toledo Falcón, 2002. "Futuros sobre acciones: demanda e implicaciones sobre los mercados de renta variable," Working Papers 0218, Banco de España.
- Michael Grill & Karl Schmedders & Felix Kubler & Johannes Brumm, 2012. "Margin Requirements and Asset Prices," 2012 Meeting Papers 533, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ian Ayres & Barry J. Nalebuff, 2008. "Life-cycle Investing and Leverage: Buying Stock on Margin Can Reduce Retirement Risk," NBER Working Papers 14094, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Lim, Terence & Lo, Andrew W. & Merton, Robert C. & Scholes, Myron S., 2006. "The Derivatives Sourcebook," Foundations and Trends(R) in Finance, now publishers, vol. 1(5–6), pages 365-572, April.
- Ben Abdallah, Skander & Lasserre, Pierre, 2016.
"Asset retirement with infinitely repeated alternative replacements: Harvest age and species choice in forestry,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 70(C), pages 144-164.
- Skander Ben Abdallah & Pierre Lasserre, 2016. "Asset Retirement with Infinitely Repeated Alternative Replacements: Harvest Age and Species Choice in Forestry," CIRANO Working Papers 2016s-37, CIRANO.
- Kau, James B. & Keenan, Donald C., 1999. "Patterns of rational default," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 765-785, November.
- Carol Alexandra & Leonardo M. Nogueira, 2005. "Optimal Hedging and Scale Inavriance: A Taxonomy of Option Pricing Models," ICMA Centre Discussion Papers in Finance icma-dp2005-10, Henley Business School, University of Reading, revised Nov 2005.
- William R. Morgan, 2023. "Finance Must Be Defended: Cybernetics, Neoliberalism and Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG)," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 15(4), pages 1-21, February.
- Filipe Fontanela & Antoine Jacquier & Mugad Oumgari, 2019. "A Quantum algorithm for linear PDEs arising in Finance," Papers 1912.02753, arXiv.org, revised Feb 2021.
- Jun, Doobae & Ku, Hyejin, 2015. "Static hedging of chained-type barrier options," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(C), pages 317-327.
- Gordian Rättich & Kim Clark & Evi Hartmann, 2011. "Performance measurement and antecedents of early internationalizing firms: A systematic assessment," Working Papers 0031, College of Business, University of Texas at San Antonio.
- Paul Ormerod, 2010. "La crisis actual y la culpabilidad de la teoría macroeconómica," Revista de Economía Institucional, Universidad Externado de Colombia - Facultad de Economía, vol. 12(22), pages 111-128, January-J.
- An Chen & Thai Nguyen & Thorsten Sehner, 2022. "Unit-Linked Tontine: Utility-Based Design, Pricing and Performance," Risks, MDPI, vol. 10(4), pages 1-27, April.
- Kearney, Fearghal & Shang, Han Lin & Sheenan, Lisa, 2019.
"Implied volatility surface predictability: The case of commodity markets,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 108(C).
- Fearghal Kearney & Han Lin Shang & Lisa Sheenan, 2019. "Implied volatility surface predictability: the case of commodity markets," Papers 1909.11009, arXiv.org.
- Álvarez Echeverría Francisco & López Sarabia Pablo & Venegas Martínez Francisco, 2012. "Valuación financiera de proyectos de inversión en nuevas tecnologías con opciones reales," Contaduría y Administración, Accounting and Management, vol. 57(3), pages 115-145, julio-sep.
- Vorst, A. C. F., 1988. "Option Pricing And Stochastic Processes," Econometric Institute Archives 272366, Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Dybvig, Philip H. & Gong, Ning & Schwartz, Rachel, 2000. "Bias of Damage Awards and Free Options in Securities Litigation," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 149-168, April.
- Zhao, Zhibiao & Wu, Wei Biao, 2009. "Nonparametric inference of discretely sampled stable Lévy processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 153(1), pages 83-92, November.
- Antoine Jacquier & Patrick Roome, 2015. "Black-Scholes in a CEV random environment," Papers 1503.08082, arXiv.org, revised Nov 2017.
- Yonggu Kim & Keeyoung Shin & Joseph Ahn & Eul-Bum Lee, 2017. "Probabilistic Cash Flow-Based Optimal Investment Timing Using Two-Color Rainbow Options Valuation for Economic Sustainability Appraisement," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 9(10), pages 1-16, October.
- Chen, Peimin & Wu, Chunchi, 2014. "Default prediction with dynamic sectoral and macroeconomic frailties," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 211-226.
- Boyarchenko, Svetlana & Levendorskii[caron], Sergei, 2007.
"Optimal stopping made easy,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 201-217, February.
- Svetlana Boyarchenko & Sergey Levendorskiy, 2004. "Optimal stopping made easy," Finance 0410016, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Robert C. Merton, 2006. "Paul Samuelson and Financial Economics," The American Economist, Sage Publications, vol. 50(2), pages 9-31, October.
More about this item
KeywordsMargins (Security trading);
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedbne:y:2000:i:sep:p:19-44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/frbbous.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If CitEc recognized a bibliographic reference but did not link an item in RePEc to it, you can help with this form .
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Catherine Spozio (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://edirc.repec.org/data/frbbous.html .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.