Optimal stopping made easy
This paper presents a simple discrete time model for valuing real options. A short proof of optimal exercise rules for the standard problems in the real options theory is given in the binomial and trinomial models, and more generally, when the underlying uncertainty is modelled as a random walk on a lattice. The method of the paper is based on the use of the expected present value operators. With straightforward modifications, the method works in discrete time--continuous space, continuous time--continuous space and continuous time--discrete space models.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Svetlana Boyarchenko & Sergei Levendorskii, 2005.
"American options: the EPV pricing model,"
Annals of Finance,
Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 267-292, 08.
- Svetlana Boyarchenko & Sergei Levendorski&icaron;, 2007.
"Practical Guide To Real Options In Discrete Time,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 48(1), pages 311-342, 02.
- Sergey Levendorskiy & Svetlana Boyarchenko, 2004. "Practical guide to real options in discrete time," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 137, Society for Computational Economics.
- Svetlana Boyarchenko & Sergei Levendorskii, 2004. "Practical guide to real options in discrete time," Papers cond-mat/0404106, arXiv.org.
- Svetlana Boyarchenko & Sergei Levendorskii, 2004. "Practical guide to real options in discrete time," Finance 0405016, EconWPA.
- Svetlana Boyarchenko & Sergei Levendorskii, 2004.
"Real options and the universal bad news principle,"
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- S. I. Boyarchenko & S. Z. Levendorskii, 2002. "Pricing of perpetual Bermudan options," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(6), pages 432-442.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- Svetlana Boyarchenko, 2004. "Irreversible Decisions and Record-Setting News Principles," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 557-568, June.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 1983. "Irreversibility, Uncertainty, and Cyclical Investment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 98(1), pages 85-106.
- Boyarchenko Svetlana & Levendorskii Sergei Z, 2006.
"General Option Exercise Rules, with Applications to Embedded Options and Monopolistic Expansion,"
The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 6(1), pages 1-51, June.
- Svetlana Boyarchenko & Sergei Levendorskii, 2005. "General option exercise rules, with applications to embedded options and monopolistic expansion," Finance 0511001, EconWPA.
- Svetlana Boyarchenko & Sergei Levendorskii, 2006. "General option exercise rules, with applications to embedded options and monopolistic expansion," 2006 Meeting Papers 312, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Bianca Hilberink & L.C.G. Rogers, 2002. "Optimal capital structure and endogenous default," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 237-263.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wpa:wuwpfi:0410016. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.