Practical guide to real options in discrete time
Continuous time models in the theory of real options give explicit formulas for optimal exercise strategies when options are simple and the price of an underlying asset follows a geometric Brownian motion. This paper suggests a general, computationally simple approach to real options in discrete time. Explicit formulas are derived even for embedded options. Discrete time processes reflect the scarcity of observations in the data, and may account for fat tails and skewness of probability distributions of commodity prices. The method of the paper is based on the use of the expected present value operators.
|Date of creation:||11 Aug 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://comp-econ.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Svetlana Boyarchenko, 2004. "Irreversible Decisions and Record-Setting News Principles," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(3), pages 557-568, June.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Scott Schuh, 1998. "Job Creation and Destruction," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262540932, June.
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2003.
"The Finite Moment Log Stable Process and Option Pricing,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 58(2), pages 753-778, 04.
- Peter Carr & Liuren Wu, 2002. "The Finite Moment Log Stable Process and Option Pricing," Finance 0207012, EconWPA.
- Abel, Andrew B. & Eberly, Janice C., 1999.
"The effects of irreversibility and uncertainty on capital accumulation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 339-377, December.
- Andrew B. Abel & Janice C. Eberly, 1995. "The Effects of Irreversibility and Uncertainty on Capital Accumulation," NBER Working Papers 5363, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew B. Abel & Janice B. Eberly, . "The Effects of Irreversibility and Uncertainty on Capital Accumulation," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 21-95, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Angus Deaton & Guy Laroque, 1992. "On the Behaviour of Commodity Prices," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 59(1), pages 1-23.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Vincenzo Quadrini, 1999.
"Financial Markets and Firm Dynamics,"
99-14, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- S. I. Boyarchenko & S. Z. Levendorskii, 2002. "Pricing of perpetual Bermudan options," Quantitative Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 2(6), pages 432-442.
- Seung-Ryong Yang & B. Wade Brorsen, 1992. "Nonlinear Dynamics of Daily Cash Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 74(3), pages 706-715.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sce:scecf4:137. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.