Patterns and causes of growth of European agricultural production, 1950-2005
The aim of this work is to analyze the evolution of agricultural production in Europe after World War Two. To study the evolution of production, we want to find the causes of its growth. We will start with the role played by the factors of production. We will also want to estimate the contribution to output growth from improvements in efficiency, for which we will calculate the total factor productivity growth. Preliminary results show three possible patterns to explain the evolution of agricultural production. The first one which included Western countries and Germany based their growth in the raised efficiency and a higher use of capital. The opposing model is that of the countries with centrally planned economies. In this group of countries the use of capital was crucial. The efficiency of the system improved, but by considerably less than in the rest of Europe. The intermediate situation is that of the lesser developed countries in the southern European periphery and the Nordic countries, but in distinction to those of the Soviet bloc, they tended to converge much earlier with the model of the Western countries.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.aehe.netEmail: |
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George Psacharopoulos & Harry Anthony Patrinos, 2004.
"Returns to investment in education: a further update,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 111-134.
- Psacharopoulos, George & Patrinos, Harry Anthony, 2002. "Returns to investment in education : a further update," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2881, The World Bank.
- Raúl Serrano & Vicente Pinilla, 2010. "Terms of trade of agricultural and food products, 1951‐2000," Documentos de Trabajo (DT-AEHE) 1003, Asociación Española de Historia Económica.
- Dias Avila, Antonio Flavio & Evenson, Robert E., 2010. "Total Factor Productivity Growth in Agriculture: The Role of Technological Capital," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, Elsevier.
- Zamagni, Vera, 1993. "The Economic History of Italy 1860-1990," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198287735, March.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521864510 is not listed on IDEAS
- Spoerer, Mark, 2010. ""Fortress Europe" in long-term perspective: agricultural protection in the European Community, 1957-2003," MPRA Paper 24120, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro & Rosés, Joan R. & Sanz-Villarroya, Isabel, 2012.
"Economic reforms and growth in Franco's Spain,"
Revista de Historia Económica,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 30(01), pages 45-89, March.
- Silvestre, Javier, 2005. "Internal migrations in Spain, 1877 1930," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(02), pages 233-265, August.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521667876 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barry P. Bosworth & Susan M. Collins, 2003. "The Empirics of Growth: An Update," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 34(2), pages 113-206.
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro & Rosés, Joan R., 2010.
"Human capital and economic growth in Spain, 1850-2000,"
Explorations in Economic History,
Elsevier, vol. 47(4), pages 520-532, October.
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura & Joan R. Roses, 2009. "Human Capital and Economic Growth in Spain, 1850-2000," Working Papers in Economic History wp09-06, Universidad Carlos III, Instituto Figuerola de Historia y Ciencias Sociales.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521857116 is not listed on IDEAS
- Miguel Martín-Retorillo & Vincente Pinilla, 2012. "Why did agricultural labour productivity not converge in Europe from 1950 to 2005?," Working Papers 0025, European Historical Economics Society (EHES).
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521708388 is not listed on IDEAS
- Macours, Karen & Swinnen, Johan F M, 2002. "Patterns of Agrarian Transition," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 50(2), pages 365-94, January.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521683012 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521660921 is not listed on IDEAS
- Fennell, Rosemary, 1997. "The Common Agricultural Policy: Continuity and Change," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198288572, March.
- Trzeciak-Duval, Alexandra, 1999. "A Decade of Transition in Central and Eastern European Agriculture," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 26(3), pages 283-304, August.
- Macours, Karen & Swinnen, Johan F. M., 2000. "Causes of Output Decline in Economic Transition: The Case of Central and Eastern European Agriculture," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 172-206, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ahe:dtaehe:1302. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margarita Vilar Rodríguez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.