Wholesale Demand For Usda Quality Graded Boxed Beef And Effects Of Seasonality
This study quantifies the differential in demand between different USDA quality grades of beef and the interaction between quality graded beef and other meats. We provide estimates of meat retailer own and cross price demand elasticities for USDA Choice and Select boxed beef. Results indicate that meat retailers have more elastic demand for lower quality graded beef. Seasonal analysis indicates demand for both beef quality grades becomes highly price inelastic during the summer "cook-out" months. The two beef quality grades are strong substitutes during the fall and winter. However, Select beef is not a substitute for Choice beef in the spring and summer.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Namken, Jerry C. & Farris, Donald E. & Capps, Oral, Jr., 1994. "The Demand For Wholesale Beef Cuts By Season And Trend," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 25(2), September.
- Thompson, Gary D. & Wilson, Paul N., 1999. "Market Demands For Bagged, Refrigerated Salads," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 24(02), December.
- Ward, Clement E. & Feuz, Dillon M. & Schroeder, Ted C., 1999. "Formula Pricing and Grid Pricing Fed Cattle: Implications for Price Discovery and Variability," Staff Papers 232528, Virginia Tech, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- John D. Jackson, 1997. "Effects of Health Information and Generic Advertising on U.S. Meat Demand," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 13-23.
- Hahn, William F. & Green, Richard D., 2000. "Joint Costs In Meat Retailing," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(01), July.
- Moschini, GianCarlo, 1988. "Model of Production with Supply Management for the Canadian Agricultural Sector, A," Staff General Research Papers 11269, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Shon P. Williams & C. Richard Shumway, 1998. "Testing for Behavioral Objective and Aggregation Opportunities in U.S. Agricultural Data," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(1), pages 195-207.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:waeava:36409. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.