An Empirical Analysis Of The Demand For Wholesale Pork Primals: Seasonality And Structural Change
A set of inverse wholesale pork primal demand models are estimated to determine the own-quantity flexibility, to ascertain seasonal price fluctuations, and to examine whether the flexibilities change in absolute magnitude over time. Results indicate that the own-quantity flexibility varied within the year. Also, it is determined that the own-quantity flexibility increased in magnitude (absolute value) over time for some of the primal cuts evaluated. However, for Hams the price flexibility became positive after early 1998. An increase in cold storage stocks of Hams may have led to the positive own-quantity flexibility and cold storage stocks may have been used to offset the potential Ham price decline of 1998.
|Date of creation:||2002|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 200 Mumford Hall, Columbia, MO, 65211|
Web page: http://www.ssu.missouri.edu/agecon
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Marsh, Thomas L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Fox, John A., 2001.
"Wholesale Demand For Usda Quality Graded Boxed Beef And Effects Of Seasonality,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Marsh, Thomas L., 2000. "Wholesale Demand For Usda Quality Graded Boxed Beef And Effects Of Seasonality," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36409, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Dorfman, Jeffrey H. & Foster, Kenneth A., 1991. "Estimating Productivity Changes With Flexible Coeficients," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(02), December.
- McGuirk, Anya M. & Driscoll, Paul J. & Alwang, Jeffrey Roger & Huang, Huilin, 1995. "System Misspecification Testing And Structural Change In The Demand For Meats," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), July.
- Capps, Oral & Farris, Donald E. & Byrne, Patrick J. & Namken, Jerry C. & Lambert, Charles D., 1994. "Determinants of Wholesale Beef-Cut Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 183-199, July.
- Capps, Oral, Jr. & Farris, Donald E. & Byrne, Patrick J. & Namken, Jerry C. & Lambert, Charles D., 1994. "Determinants Of Wholesale Beef-Cut Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Matthew T. Holt, 1999. "Price Transmission and Asymmetric Adjustment in the U.S. Beef Sector," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 630-637.
- Peterson, Hikaru Hanawa & Tomek, William G., 2000. "Implications Of Deflating Commodity Prices For Time-Series Analysis," 2000 Conference, April 17-18 2000, Chicago, Illinois 18944, NCR-134 Conference on Applied Commodity Price Analysis, Forecasting, and Market Risk Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:umcowp:26033. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.