An Empirical Analysis of the Demand for Wholesale Pork Primals: Seasonality and Structural Change
This study focuses on estimating wholesale pork primal demand relationships in order to determine their own-quantity flexibilities, whether these flexibilities have changed over time, and seasonal price fluctuations. A set of equations for pork loin, rib, butt, ham, pork belly, and picnic primals was estimated. Monthly data over an 11-year period were used to determine that own-quantity flexibilities varied across months, that they increased in absolute value over time for some primal cuts, and cold-storage stocks were used as an inventory control measure to reduce price variation for some primal cuts.
Volume (Year): 28 (2003)
Issue (Month): 02 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Poray, Michael C. & Foster, Kenneth A. & Dorfman, Jeffrey H., 2000. "Measuring An Almost Ideal Demand System With Generalized Flexible Least Squares," 2000 Annual meeting, July 30-August 2, Tampa, FL 21796, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Dorfman, Jeffrey H. & Foster, Kenneth A., 1991. "Estimating Productivity Changes With Flexible Coeficients," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 16(02), December.
- Capps, Oral & Farris, Donald E. & Byrne, Patrick J. & Namken, Jerry C. & Lambert, Charles D., 1994. "Determinants of Wholesale Beef-Cut Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 183-199, July.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Marsh, Thomas L., 2000.
"Wholesale Demand For Usda Quality Graded Boxed Beef And Effects Of Seasonality,"
2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia
36409, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Marsh, Thomas L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Fox, John A., 2001. "Wholesale Demand For Usda Quality Graded Boxed Beef And Effects Of Seasonality," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), pages -, July.
- McGuirk, Anya M. & Driscoll, Paul J. & Alwang, Jeffrey Roger & Huang, Huilin, 1995. "System Misspecification Testing And Structural Change In The Demand For Meats," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(01), pages -, July.
- Capps, Oral, Jr. & Farris, Donald E. & Byrne, Patrick J. & Namken, Jerry C. & Lambert, Charles D., 1994. "Determinants Of Wholesale Beef-Cut Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Hahn, William F. & Green, Richard D., 2000. "Joint Costs In Meat Retailing," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(01), pages -, July.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Matthew T. Holt, 1999. "Price Transmission and Asymmetric Adjustment in the U.S. Beef Sector," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 630-637.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:jlaare:31102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.