Hedging Wholesale Beef Cuts
Live cattle futures markets do not offer much opportunity for effective hedging of wholesale beef cuts. If a Choice-to-Select price spread futures contract were introduced this would enhance hedging effectiveness although likely not enough to encourage cross hedging. If a Choice boxed beef futures contract were introduced, hedging Choice wholesale beef cuts would be less risky and the addition of a Choice-to-Select price spread would enhance hedging effectiveness especially for Select wholesale beef cuts.
|Date of creation:||2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Marsh, Thomas L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Fox, John A., 2001.
"Wholesale Demand For Usda Quality Graded Boxed Beef And Effects Of Seasonality,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Lusk, Jayson L. & Marsh, Thomas L., 2000. "Wholesale Demand For Usda Quality Graded Boxed Beef And Effects Of Seasonality," 2000 Annual Meeting, June 29-July 1, 2000, Vancouver, British Columbia 36409, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Shroeder, Ted C. & Mintert, James R., 1988. "Hedging Feeder Steers And Heifers In The Cash-Settled Feeder Cattle Futures Market," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(02), December.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1981. "Cross Hedging," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(6), pages 1182-96, December.
- Marvin L. Hayenga & Bingrong Jiang & Sergio H. Lence, 1996.
"Improving wholesale beef and pork product cross hedging,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(6), pages 541-559.
- Hayenga, Marvin L. & Jiang, Bingrong & Lence, Sergio H., 1996. "Improving Wholesale Beef and Pork Product Cross Hedging," Staff General Research Papers 5004, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Capps, Oral, Jr. & Farris, Donald E. & Byrne, Patrick J. & Namken, Jerry C. & Lambert, Charles D., 1994. "Determinants Of Wholesale Beef-Cut Prices," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(01), July.
- Elam, Emmett W., 1988. "Estimated Hedging Risk With Cash Settlement Feeder Cattle Futures," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 13(01), July.
- Myers, Robert J. & Thompson, Stanley R., 1988. "Generalized Optimal Hedge Ratio Estimation," Staff Papers 200967, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Namken, Jerry C. & Farris, Donald E. & Capps, Oral, Jr., 1994. "The Demand For Wholesale Beef Cuts By Season And Trend," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 25(2), September.
- Parcell, Joseph L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 2000. "Factors Affecting Live Cattle Basis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 32(03), December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:waealo:36091. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.