Dynamic Cross-Hedge Ratios: An Application of Copula Models
In this study, we propose a new approach to estimating optimal dynamic cross-hedge ratios. In particular, we apply copula models to discuss the use of corn futures contracts to cross hedge grain sorghum, and the use of Kansas wheat futures contracts to cross hedge barley. Hedge (or cross-hedge) ratios are generally estimated by using the variances of cash and futures returns and the correlation between these returns. We compute the time-varying variances of cash and futures returns by applying the Error Correction Model (ECM) with GARCH error terms. The time-varying correlation term in the dynamic cross-hedge ratio is obtained from eight copula models – two elliptical copulas (Gaussian and Student’s-t) and six Archimedean copulas (Clayton, rotated Clayton, Gumbel, rotated Gumbel, Frank, and Plackett). We use maximum likelihood estimation techniques to estimate the copula models and compare the performance of these copula models by their maximum likelihood values. Results confirm the significant linkages between these markets and demonstrate the effectiveness of cross-hedging as a mechanism for managing price risks.
|Date of creation:||2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ederington, Louis H, 1979. "The Hedging Performance of the New Futures Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(1), pages 157-70, March.
- Michael S. Haigh & Matthew T. Holt, 2000. "Hedging Multiple Price Uncertainty in International Grain Trade," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(4), pages 881-896.
- Chang, Eric C. & Wong, Kit Pong, 2003. "Cross-Hedging with Currency Options and Futures," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(03), pages 555-574, September.
- Tomislav Vukina & James L. Anderson, 1993. "A State-Space Forecasting Approach to Optimal Intertemporal Cross-Hedging," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 75(2), pages 416-424.
- Kroner, Kenneth F. & Sultan, Jahangir, 1993. "Time-Varying Distributions and Dynamic Hedging with Foreign Currency Futures," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(04), pages 535-551, December.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Danthine, Jean-Pierre, 1981. "Cross Hedging," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(6), pages 1182-96, December.
- Blake, Martin L. & Catlett, Lowell B., 1984. "Cross Hedging Hay Using Corn Futures: An Empirical Test," Western Journal of Agricultural Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 9(01), July.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Parcell, Joseph L., 2003. "Cash Ethanol Cross-Hedging Opportunities," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 35(03), December.
- Franken, Jason R.V. & Parcell, Joe L., 2003. "Cash Ethanol Cross-Hedging Opportunities," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 35(03), pages 510-516, December.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Robert E. Cumby & Stephen Figlewski, 1986.
"Estimation of the optimal futures hedge,"
Research Working Paper
86-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Hayenga, Marvin L. & DiPietre, Dennis D., 1982. "Cross-Hedging Wholesale Pork Products Using Live Hog Futures," Staff General Research Papers 11305, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kit Pong Wong, 2007. "Optimal Export And Hedging Decisions When Forward Markets Are Incomplete," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(1), pages 67-81, 01.
- Baillie, Richard T & Myers, Robert J, 1991. "Bivariate GARCH Estimation of the Optimal Commodity Futures Hedge," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(2), pages 109-24, April-Jun.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea12:124610. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.