Estimating Productivity Changes With Flexible Coeficients
Technical progress in U.S. agriculture is evaluated using a new measure of productivity growth, flexible technical change. This measure allows for nonconstant returns to scale, market structures other than perfect competition, and time-varying coefficients. An integral part of the procedure is the estimation of the production function by Flexible Least Squares. Flexible technical change results are compared with two traditional measures of productivity growth and found to be more stable and more precise in a statistical sense. The results suggest that previous studies which employed total factor productivity measures may have overstated the impact of technology in agriculture.
Volume (Year): 16 (1991)
Issue (Month): 02 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://waeaonline.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M, 1988. "A General Index of Technical Change," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 20-41, February.
- Tesfatsion, Leigh & Veitch, John M., 1990.
"U.S. money demand instability A flexible least squares approach,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 151-173, February.
- Tesfatsion, L. & Veitch, J., 1988. "U.S. Money Demand Instability: A Flexible Least Squares Approach," Papers m8809, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Tesfatsion, Leigh S. & Veitch, J., 1990. "U.S. Money Demand Instability: A Flexible Least Squares Approach," Staff General Research Papers 11193, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hulten, Charles R., 1986. "Productivity change, capacity utilization, and the sources of efficiency growth," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 31-50.
- Kalaba, Robert E. & Tesfatsion, Leigh S., 1989. "Time-Varying Linear Regression Via Flexible Least Squares," Staff General Research Papers 11196, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Berndt, Ernst R. & Fuss, Melvyn A., 1986. "Productivity measurement with adjustments for variations in capacity utilization and other forms of temporary equilibrium," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 7-29.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:wjagec:32615. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.