Time Varying Coefficient: An Application of Flexible Least Squares to Cattle Captive Supply
Although conventional linear regression techniques assume time constancy of parameters time varying coefficient or the problem of structural instability in econometric relationships has been recognized by econometricians. In this study, time varying impact of captive supply on fed cattle cash market price is investigated via flexible least squares approach. Time path of flexible least squares coefficient estimate indicates an approximately four fold increase in price impact of captive supply over the sample period, but even this multiplied price impact is small compared to the effect of boxed beef price which shows negligible time variation. The time path also aids in identification of structural breaks in the price impact of captive supply.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kalaba, Robert E. & Tesfatsion, Leigh S., 1990.
"A Further Note on Flexible Least Squares and Kalman Filtering,"
Staff General Research Papers
11192, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kalaba, R. & Tesfatsion, L., 1990. "A further note on flexible least squares and Kalman filtering," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 183-185, February.
- Kalaba, Robert E. & Tesfatsion, Leigh S., 1989. "Time-Varying Linear Regression Via Flexible Least Squares," Staff General Research Papers 11196, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hayenga, Marvin L. & O'Brien, Daniel, 1992. "Packer Competition, Forward Contracting Price Impacts, and the Relevant Market for Fed Cattle," Staff General Research Papers 11603, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Cooley, Thomas F & Prescott, Edward C, 1976. "Estimation in the Presence of Stochastic Parameter Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(1), pages 167-84, January.
- Tesfatsion, Leigh S. & Veitch, J., 1990.
"U.S. Money Demand Instability: A Flexible Least Squares Approach,"
Staff General Research Papers
11193, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Tesfatsion, Leigh & Veitch, John M., 1990. "U.S. money demand instability A flexible least squares approach," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 151-173, February.
- Tesfatsion, L. & Veitch, J., 1988. "U.S. Money Demand Instability: A Flexible Least Squares Approach," Papers m8809, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Parcell, Joseph L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 1997. "The Effect of Captive Supply Cattle on Live Cattle Basis," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35911, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea05:19124. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.