Causality Among Fed Cattle Market Variables: Directed Acyclic Graphs Analysis Of Captive Supply
In quantitative research, direction of causality among the variables is often assumed without a rigorous test. In this study, the directed acyclic graph (DAG) method was used to illuminate causal relationships among fed cattle industry variables, in particular, it was shown that captive supply causes spot market price to change.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hoover, Kevin D., 2003. "Some causal lessons from macroeconomics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 112(1), pages 121-125, January.
- Johansen, Søren & Juselius, Katarina, 1992. "Testing structural hypotheses in a multivariate cointegration analysis of the PPP and the UIP for UK," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1-3), pages 211-244.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1994.
"Identification of the long-run and the short-run structure an application to the ISLM model,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 7-36, July.
- Søren Johansen & Katarina Juselius, 1992. "Identification of the Long-Run and the Short-Run Structure: An Application to the ISLM Model," Discussion Papers 92-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Parcell, Joseph L. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Dhuyvetter, Kevin C., 1997. "The Effect of Captive Supply Cattle on Live Cattle Basis," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35911, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Feuz, Dillon M. & Grimes, Glenn & Koontz, Stephen R. & Lawrence, John D. & Purcell, Wayne D. & Schroeder, Ted C. & Ward, Clement E., 2002. "Comments on Economic Impacts of Proposed Legislation to Prohibit Beef and Pork Packer Ownership, Feeding, or Control of Livestock," Staff General Research Papers 10134, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David A Bessler & Jian Yang & Metha Wongcharupan, 2003. "Price Dynamics in the International Wheat Market: Modeling with Error Correction and Directed Acyclic Graphs," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 1-33.
- Swanson, N.R. & Granger, C.W.J., 1994. "Impulse Response Functions Based on Causal Approach to Residual Orthogonalization in Vector Autoregressions," Papers 9-94-1, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Hayenga, Marvin L. & O'Brien, Daniel, 1992. "Packer Competition, Forward Contracting Price Impacts, and the Relevant Market for Fed Cattle," Staff General Research Papers 11603, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Bessler, David A. & Yang, Jian, 2003. "The structure of interdependence in international stock markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 261-287, April.
- Hayenga, Marvin L. & Koontz, Stephen R. & Schroeder, Ted C., 1996. "Definition of Regional Cattle Procurement Markets," Staff General Research Papers 10562, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- David A. Bessler & Derya G. Akleman, 1998. "Farm Prices, Retail Prices, and Directed Graphs: Results for Pork and Beef," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1144-1149.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aaea04:20124. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.