The sources of variability in U.S. food prices
Food prices surged in the United States and around the world between 2006 and 2008. Global increases have been attributed to income growth in the developing world, diversion of farm products from food to industrial usage, speculation in commodity markets, and energy price increases. Although pass-through of farm commodity price increases to retail prices may be mitigated by additional processing costs and food sector organizational structure, food prices in the U.S. have also recently outpaced general price increases. Time series analysis of factors influencing monthly food prices from 1970 through February 2009 suggest that innovations in farm prices and manufacturing wages, rather than consumer incomes or the prices of other food production inputs including fuel play the most significant role in determining food price changes.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Barry K. Goodwin & Matthew T. Holt, 1999.
"Price Transmission and Asymmetric Adjustment in the U.S. Beef Sector,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 630-637.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Holt, Matthew T., 1998. "Price Transmission and Asymmetric Ajustment in the U.S. Beef Sector," Staff Papers 232533, Virginia Tech, Department of Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Lamm, R McFall, 1981. "Prices and Concentration in the Food Retailing Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(1), pages 67-78, September.
- David A. Bessler & Derya G. Akleman, 1998. "Farm Prices, Retail Prices, and Directed Graphs: Results for Pork and Beef," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1144-1149.
- Graham Elliott & Allan Timmermann, 2016. "Economic Forecasting," Economics Books, Princeton University Press, edition 1, number 10740.
- Graham Elliott & Allan Timmermann, 2008. "Economic Forecasting," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 46(1), pages 3-56, March.
- Elliott, Graham & Timmermann, Allan G, 2007. "Economic Forecasting," CEPR Discussion Papers 6158, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Reed, A.J. & Elitzak, H. & Wohlgenant, M.K., 2002. "Retail-Farm Price Margins and Consumer Product Diversity," Technical Bulletins 184326, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Reed, Albert J. & Elitzak, Howard & Wohlgenant, Michael K., 2002. "Retail-Farm Price Margins And Consumer Product Diversity," Technical Bulletins 33573, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Abbott, Philip C. & Hurt, Christopher & Tyner, Wallace E., 2009. "What's Driving Food Prices? March 2009 Update," Issue Reports 48495, Farm Foundation.
- von Cramon-Taubadel, Stephan, 1998. "Estimating Asymmetric Price Transmission with the Error Correction Representation: An application to the German Pork Market," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 25(1), pages 1-18.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-438, July.
- R. McFall Lamm & Paul C. Westcott, 1981. "The Effects of Changing Input Costs on Food Prices," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 63(2), pages 187-196.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-1580, November.
- MacKinnon, James G, 1996. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 601-618, Nov.-Dec..
- James G. MacKinnon, 1995. "Numerical Distribution Functions for Unit Root and Cointegration Tests," Working Papers 918, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1994. "Identification of the long-run and the short-run structure an application to the ISLM model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 7-36, July.
- Søren Johansen & Katarina Juselius, 1992. "Identification of the Long-Run and the Short-Run Structure: An Application to the ISLM Model," Discussion Papers 92-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Lutkepohl, Helmut & Reimers, Hans-Eggert, 1992. "Impulse response analysis of cointegrated systems," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 53-78, January. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jpolmo:v:32:y::i:2:p:210-222. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.