How does tariff-rate quota modelling affect CGE results? An application for MIRAGE
Since the Uruguay Round Agricultural Agreement (URAA) entered into force in 1994, tariff-rate quotas (TRQs) have become the most widely used trade policy instrument to improve agricultural market access while at the same time controlling import volumes. Until now, the MIRAGE CGE model only takes into account the exogenous quota rents (MAcMap-HS6 database) allocated entirely to exporters. Unfortunately, this methodology does not authorise any regime when trade policy changes (e.g. a quota-volume increase for very sensitive agricultural products or a tariff reduction). In order to improve the treatment of TRQs in MIRAGE we model them as bilateral TRQs at the HS6 level using MAcMapHS6-v2 database. Assuming a simple scenario of bilateral trade agreement between the European Union and Mercosur, we test the previous TRQ modeling and we compare its results to the present version of MIRAGE (aggregation biases and TRQ modeling). The macroeconomic and trade results give us an idea of the biases introduced by the negligence of TRQ modeling.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harrison, W Jill & Pearson, K R, 1996.
"Computing Solutions for Large General Equilibrium Models Using GEMPACK,"
Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 9(2), pages 83-127, May.
- W. Jill Harrison & K.R. Pearson, 1994. "Computing Solutions for Large General Equilibrium Models Using GEMPACK," Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre Working Papers ip-64, Victoria University, Centre of Policy Studies/IMPACT Centre.
- Decreux, Yvan & Valin, Hugo, 2007. "MIRAGE, Updated Version of the Model for Trade Policy Analysis: Focus on Agriculture and Dynamics," Working Papers 7284, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Yvan Decreux & Hugo Valin, 2007. "MIRAGE, Updated Version of the Model for Trade Policy Analysis: Focus on Agriculture and Dynamics," Working Papers 2007-15, CEPII research center.
- Marcelo Olarreaga & Çaglar Özden, 2005. "AGOA and Apparel: Who Captures the Tariff Rent in the Presence of Preferential Market Access?," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(1), pages 63-77, 01.
- Skully, David W., 1999. "The Economics Of Trq Administration," Working Papers 14584, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- Ramos, Maria Priscila & Bureau, Jean-Christophe & Salvatici, Luca, 2007. "Shipping the good beef out: EU trade liberalization to Mercosur exports," Working Papers 7215, TRADEAG - Agricultural Trade Agreements.
- Hertel, Thomas, 1997. "Global Trade Analysis: Modeling and applications," GTAP Books, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University, number 7685, November.
- Elbehri, Aziz & Ken Pearson, 2000. "Implementing Bilateral Tariff Rate Quotas in GTAP using GEMPACK," GTAP Technical Papers 475, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Philip C. Abbott, 2002. "Tariff-rate quotas: failed market access instruments?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 29(1), pages 109-130, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)